Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you ever take your child to the ER for nonemergency reasons

Posted by   + Show Post

such as an ear ache, stomach ache or things like that? I am just asking because I have noticed that there are several people that I know in real life that do and I have to be honest, it really bugs me. If their kid was running a high temp and super sick, I could understand it, but once they took their kid because they had a cold, nothing more. Tonight their child has an ear ache and they took her for no other reason than that. The reason that it bugs me is because I feel that these people use the ER for their personal doctor office when their are true emergencies out there that the staff are needed for. If you go to the ER here before 11:00 there is something called fast track, kind of like a quick care clinic, but these people always wait until it is too late to go. I just don't see the point in using the ER for such nonemergent reasons.If you do this, can you explain to me why so I might be able to understand because I truly don't get it.

Sorry, I just had to get that out.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Replies (51-60):
notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The ER is not for an ear infection. An ear infection would be considered a sick visit and legally your pediatrician HAS to get you in within either 24-48 hours. If your pediatrician will not make an appointment in a reasonable time then report them and find a new one.

My kids pediatrician will get us in same day every single time if the kids are sick.

The ER is for emergencies and even running a high fever is not an emergency and it clogs up time for people who are in there with something seriously wrong.

To OP: No, we take our kids when we have to. I've taken my son when he has had a cold and couldn't catch a breath. He had his tonsils and adenoids taken out to stop that from happening again. I also took him when he fell down the stairs because my pediatrician told me to.

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

I've done it before when my son had an ear ache-which turned out to be an ear infection and he had to have medicine for it...It's not easy to take my children to the family doctor because when I call they always tell me to schedule an appointment..Sometimes their appointments aren't for a week or two, I want to make sure my kid is okay, I don't want to have to wait to find out..Soooo that's what the ER is there for.

psych_mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I can understand some parents having to take kids in if a doctor will not see them, and I have had to deal with doctors like that before and I changed doctors.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

The ER is not for an ear infection. An ear infection would be considered a sick visit and legally your pediatrician HAS to get you in within either 24-48 hours. If your pediatrician will not make an appointment in a reasonable time then report them and find a new one.

My kids pediatrician will get us in same day every single time if the kids are sick.

The ER is for emergencies and even running a high fever is not an emergency and it clogs up time for people who are in there with something seriously wrong.

To OP: No, we take our kids when we have to. I've taken my son when he has had a cold and couldn't catch a breath. He had his tonsils and adenoids taken out to stop that from happening again. I also took him when he fell down the stairs because my pediatrician told me to.

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

I've done it before when my son had an ear ache-which turned out to be an ear infection and he had to have medicine for it...It's not easy to take my children to the family doctor because when I call they always tell me to schedule an appointment..Sometimes their appointments aren't for a week or two, I want to make sure my kid is okay, I don't want to have to wait to find out..Soooo that's what the ER is there for.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I wish more people knew their rights. We lucked out with AMAZING doctors but since my kids pedi is so amazing I've realized how horrible some of mine were as a child. We don't even sit in the waiting room they always call us right back there and they always get us in that day if they are sick.

There are also walk-in clinics available and things such as CVS minute clinic and both of those are made for those situations and are much cheaper then an ER visit.

Quoting psych_mom:

I can understand some parents having to take kids in if a doctor will not see them, and I have had to deal with doctors like that before and I changed doctors.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

psych_mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids have an amazing doctor as well. They love her and I trust her with them completely. One time my dd fell on the pool steps and had an instant nasty bruise forming on her side. We called her doctor and she told us to get her to her office immediately because she was worried that she had damaged some internal organs. She had her in her exam room in no time and got her checked out.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wish more people knew their rights. We lucked out with AMAZING doctors but since my kids pedi is so amazing I've realized how horrible some of mine were as a child. We don't even sit in the waiting room they always call us right back there and they always get us in that day if they are sick.

There are also walk-in clinics available and things such as CVS minute clinic and both of those are made for those situations and are much cheaper then an ER visit.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

btamilee
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

Wow! That is outrageous. We have a $400 deductible, but we also have a $2,000 co-insurance so they might as well say $2400 deductible.

Quoting btamilee:

No...we have a $4,000 deductible!  We don't even go the doctors unless it is necessary!

Yes...we went from no deductible, and a $15 co-pay....to a $4,000 deductible...no easing into it, just Wham!  My hubby works for GE.  That deductible is also on meds, so it  was a big shocker for us!  They gave you an option of three different plans, all had large deductibles, plus to add to the insult the amount he pays each week toward the insurance itself went up.  Basically, we got screwed!

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on May. 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I only take Madison to the ER when she's super sick, especially if it's on the weekend.  The CareNow clinics won't take her insurance so especially if she gets really sick on the weekend, the ER is our only option unless we wait it out until Monday.  But I'm also not one of those moms who takes her to the doctor/ER for every little bump, hiccup or sneeze.  Mostly I treat at home unless I feel it's beyond anything I can do.  I've only taken Madison to the ER 5 times in nearly 5 years.  

Only once could it have been handled by her doctor but her doctor insisted we take her in to the children's hospital immediately.  That was when she developed canker sores in her mouth (like almost covering her mouth) at around 18 months old.  Poor kid stopped eating and was miserable.  Her doctor told me that she'd already had a bunch of extra patients that day and didn't know if she could fit Maddy in and to take her in to the ER.  I appreciated that because we would have probably had to wait at the doctors for a couple of hours and at the hospital we were seen right away.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting btamilee:

No...we have a $4,000 deductable!  We don't even go the doctors unless it is necessary!

Our deductible is very high and we each have our own policy so, it's x's 3..I took my daughter to ER for breathing problems and had to pay all of  her deductible.. Ouch!! 

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM
That had nothing to do with the ambulance, rather shitty hospital staff

Quoting psych_mom:

I had to go to the ER via ambulance once because of catching my hand on fire. I told my husband not call but he did anyway. The ER happened to be swamped that afternoon and the doctor barely glanced at my hand and said I only had first degree burns- he missed the 2nd and 3rd degree burns that were on there and I couldn't get follow up care. Thankfully they were not very large and there was no major damage since the third degree areas were small. You can still see scaring on my fingers though. I decided that day that no matter how bad the reason, I never ever want to go back to the hospital via ambulance.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

I'm an emt and take enough people to the er for bs

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM
My pedi says to avoid minute clinics like the plague

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Really? Is there a reason why?

I've never talked to my kids pedi. about them but I have taken my daughter to one when she had an ear infection presented on the weekend and they were efficient and did a really good job getting her checked out and giving her the antibiotics needed.

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

My pedi says to avoid minute clinics like the plague

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting Ladybug.Hugs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)