Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Dance Moms..

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do your kids do competitive or non competitive dancing?

Mine started non competitive dance after a short but stressful stint at competitive dancing..It was just too much for the kid- my daughter loves to please adults, she likes to  excel and do well..this teacher was so hard on her..It was all about perfection..

She started at a new school..It's not about perfection.. after watching the dress rehersal last night, they are far from perfect..LOL!!

But they are cute as they can be trying to do hip hop dancing..She's finally just having fun..(breaths sigh of relief)..

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My niece is really into competitive dance. I don't know too much about her experience other than seeing video of her competitions.

katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM
She is only 3, so non competitive now. But she has her first recital next weekend and I can not wait! Her teacher says she is really good for her age, but I am not surprised. She has always shown a natural proclivity for it. No idea where, as her daddy and I both have two left feet rofl. Its a small school, and luckily they aren't about perfection either. But they still came back with some awards from the last competition (the older girls) so obviously the teacher is doing something right! She is wonderful by the Way...she is the sweetest person ever. No wonder my dd loves her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocknmom85
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Competetive sports are definitely not for everyone, my kids are also adult-pleasers so it is tough for them to be overly critiqued. Although, I think can be really beneficial for many kids to challenge themselves and overcome obstacle, it's a good life lesson.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Maybe it was just this one teacher/studio..I'm sure some competitive dancers have had better experiences..It was just bad for us..:(

Quoting Linds2Horse:

My niece is really into competitive dance. I don't know too much about her experience other than seeing video of her competitions.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Quoting rocknmom85:

Competetive sports are definitely not for everyone, my kids are also adult-pleasers so it is tough for them to be overly critiqued. Although, I think can be really beneficial for many kids to challenge themselves and overcome obstacle, it's a good life lesson.

I totally agree with the challenge part..She's in a very challenging learning enviroment for most of the day(International School)..I think it was too much to deal with..this was supposed to be her fun after school activity..She's only 7 maybe she will try it again later..

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

no but I want to get Bella into something. I have decided on what yet. It's a toss up between gymnastics, karate, or dance. I guess it'll depend on what we can afford when the time comes

telecomgirl
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Nope, not here...

but I do have a 4 year old begging to do ballet...

rocamom
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM

My daughter is 5 and I'm NOT ready for her to compete yet.. If she asks to as she gets older that's fine.. I competed in Figure skating so I would probably let her do it.. 

She watches Dance Moms to see the girls dance at the end of the show but she Doesn't like all the yelling..  LOL!!! 

I just want my kids to have FUN.. :)

campeno
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
My kids Irish Dance competitively. There isn't a ton of pressure unless the kid sets personal goals for herself. Then she has to earn certain placements in order to advance levels and/or earn her way to Nationals and other bigger comps.
We determine how many comps we go to, so the only pressure is the pressure we put upon ourselves, really.
I think I 'm harder on them than their teacher, LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

No, but my dd does want to get into dance. I am hoping she can soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)