Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Snake Repellent

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
  • 17 Replies

My 19 month old just about got bit by a matured adult copperhead yesterday This is a 3rd sighting within 3 houses of each other in a week. What can we do to repell snakes out of our yard?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Gah!! I dunno but good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GraceHudson
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
bump

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Keep grass cut short 1-2inces constant.

Block off anywhere they can hide (under buildings, etc)

Pick up any debris around the area - any boxes/lumber/etc

Make sure you have proper drainage - many snakes are attracted to water in some form bc it means a food source, a quick way to cool off, and it keeps the ground cooler.

SassyWildflower
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM

great tips!

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

Keep grass cut short 1-2inces constant.

Block off anywhere they can hide (under buildings, etc)

Pick up any debris around the area - any boxes/lumber/etc

Make sure you have proper drainage - many snakes are attracted to water in some form bc it means a food source, a quick way to cool off, and it keeps the ground cooler.

IhaveHisjoy
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Moth balls! I had 2 snakes in 1 week at my house. I covered the fence line with moth balls..they hate smell and it will repel them..haven't seen another snake since!
Mommyof2114
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Omg your poor baby. Ugh I hate snakes I'm going to try the mothballs lol
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on May. 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Lowe's, WalMart and Home DePot and most farm stores like TSC and Farm/Fleet stores sell a product called  SNAKE AWAY..it works well....just shake it around whereever you don't want them,to me..that is everywhere...If it rains heavy, you will have to retreat the area.

IhaveHisjoy
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Quoting QuiltLover:

Lowe's, WalMart and Home DePot and most farm stores like TSC and Farm/Fleet stores sell a product called  SNAKE AWAY..it works well....just shake it around whereever you don't want them,to me..that is everywhere...If it rains heavy, you will have to retreat the area.

snake away is pretty much just crushed mothballs..just more expensive.
psych_mom
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I was talking about this with a friend yesterday and she said that she has just researched this and found out that cedar oil is great for this- plus it helps with ticks, scorpions, ants and spiders, but won't harm things like butterflied. We are worried about this as well because we live by the lake and in the middle of the woods.

friend8622
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM

That is so scary.  I have no idea what you can do to repell them.  Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)