Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Planting flowers.. Edit

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

We just moved into our first home and in front of our house we have bed of mulch. There are weeds growing in it and I just keep using the weed whacker to cut. I want to plant flowers but I have no idea where to begin. Can anyone help?

Thank you ladies! I knew coming here would get me some good answers! When I get it all done, I'll be sure to post here! Thank you all.

simple smile

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
psych_mom
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I would go to the local garden center and find out what grows well in your area. You are going to want a mix of perennials (bloom year after year) and annuals (bloom only once and then scatter their seeds and grow from seed up). You may want to leave space to plant things in the fall and again next spring. I try to plant things that have a long bloom time, but I am in GA and most things start blooming in April that are summer plants and last through the end of Sept. The person at your garden center will be able to give you great ideas and ideas on how to lay your planting bed out. Take a picture of the area with you as well. I would try to go to a nursery and not Lowes or Home Depot so that you work with someone that is trained.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It's actually quite easy. 

First you need to determine if you need full sun plants or partial sun plants.  Full sun plants require 6+ hours of direct sunlight per day.  Partial shade plants don't do well in an area with more than 6+ hours of direct sunlight.

Second, you determine the watering situation. Do you have irrigation (aka sprinklers) or will you have to hand water?  If you don't have spinklers then look for low water plants.

Then you go to the nursery. (I like to buy at Lowes because they have a lifetime plant guarantee, which I take great advantage of) and look for plants that appeal to you. Check the label to make sure they match your sun/shade requirement and water requirement.  Also check the tags for the size the plant will mature too.

I live in Zone 9 and recently planted a full sun, low water area in my front yard. The plants I selected included geraniums (easy to grow and lots of color), verbena (great ground cover, inexpensive because is spreads 3' x 3'), ornamental grasses (adds texture to your garden), lavendar (smells great), a white rose tree (height), and flax (grows 5' so it adds another layer height).

I prefer to buy the 1 qt size. They are typically $3-4 each and give you instant gratification.  For Annuals I will buy 6-packs, but I don't like 6-packs for perennials.

When you are the nursery be sure to buy generous amounts of potting soil. (I like Miracle Grow).  You'll dig a hole that is twice as wide as the 1 qt container.  One qts are typicall 6" so dig a hole that is the same height as the container but 12"wide.  Place the plant in the hole and pack potting soil around it. Water daily until its established - usually 2-3 weeks.  Aftewards you simply water as directed on the label.

Sounds like a lot, but it's not.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

they seem to have you covered :) Happy planting and feel free to share pictures!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Looks like the other gals gave you some great ideas,
Let us know what you decide to plant & have fun doing it :)

Join us at

Time Out for You

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM

The PP gave great advice...Have fun planting!!

rocamom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yup go to your local shop and tell them what you have there and what you want to do (meaning if you want just green stuff or something with color, and how big you want it to go)..

GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN