Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

This makes me so mad

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM
  • 12 Replies

In April we had a community meeting about starting a neighborhood watch program due to some break-ins (from my house it would be about a mile away to where the break in happen). Anyhow, one of the bigger concerns in our meeting was the speeding on our road because its a small back road with a good amount of traffic on it. They told us that they couldn't put a speed limit sign on our road because two cars couldn't pass without one going off the pavement. Then I get an email today (with more information from the meeting) that according to our state code the legal speed limit for our road is 55mph since there is no sign posted. It also stated in there that because we have a park & trail at the end of our road that we get 20-40,000 non-residential visitors on our road.

SERIOUSLY?! This is a very narrow windy road - it's been that way for hundreds of years and now they're allowed to do 55mph down? What kind of catch 22 is this? We can't get a sign posted because our road isn't big enough for two cars to pass yet they're allowed to do 55mph down it? 

Everyone's doing everything we can to get it posted and monitored. Our main road (that runs from the state next to us all the way into the city) is a 2 lane and is 45 mph. 

There are so many kids on our road that it's not funny. It drives me insane thinking of how many people (neighbors) that walk our road for exercise and how many pets are with them.... let alone all the kids that play around here.

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I would definitely keep pushing this matter. Take it to the county and state levels if you have too. This sounds very dangerous. My dad has to drive through West VA a lot and he says those back roads are no laughing matter through there.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

have you ever seen "Ice Road Truckers Deadliest Roads"? Yeah some backroads around here look just like that - some aren't big enough for the vehicle you're driving.

Our road is wide enough for one to drive while another is pulled off the road (like into the ditch). It's still not safe because in some spots going off the road would tear up the bottom of the car. Over the years those that live here have learned how to pull over into driveways and such to maunever the road (there's a lot of "hidden" driveways that those just visiting the park wouldn't know about till after they've passed them).

We're doing all we can its just soo frustrating.

Quoting psych_mom:

I would definitely keep pushing this matter. Take it to the county and state levels if you have too. This sounds very dangerous. My dad has to drive through West VA a lot and he says those back roads are no laughing matter through there.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I've been on roads like that in the mountains in TN. I hate driving on them because I am always terrified of headon collisions. My dad drives an 18 wheeler and he has had to drive on some of those West VA roads in the mountains in the winter covered in ice and he says it isn't fun at all- especially when he drove a tanker truck. It is ridiculous for them to think that 55mph would be okay for people that don't drive on a lane road all the time- especially a residental road.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

have you ever seen "Ice Road Truckers Deadliest Roads"? Yeah some backroads around here look just like that - some aren't big enough for the vehicle you're driving.

Our road is wide enough for one to drive while another is pulled off the road (like into the ditch). It's still not safe because in some spots going off the road would tear up the bottom of the car. Over the years those that live here have learned how to pull over into driveways and such to maunever the road (there's a lot of "hidden" driveways that those just visiting the park wouldn't know about till after they've passed them).

We're doing all we can its just soo frustrating.

Quoting psych_mom:

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Agreed!

Quoting psych_mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyWildflower
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

RIDICULOUS!!

i'd also say keep pushing for it!

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Keep pushing the issue.. work on getting a petition together and have people in the neighborhood sign it.. GOOD LUCK!!

MamaBlamer
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM
i would keep pushing it sometimes thats how to get things done. they say the more people who complain about something in a community the more the county will do to stop the complaints and take care of it.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM
I would too.

Quoting psych_mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

So work to get things changed. Find out what steps have to be taken in your township,county or state and start the ball rolling.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Quoting 4music:

So work to get things changed. Find out what steps have to be taken in your township,county or state and start the ball rolling.

We have. This was only the first round. We've got about 25 houses between the two roads so we'll just have to keep trying. I'm sure we can bother them enough to get something done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)