Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Working 3rd shift....with kids...

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone,

Im a mother of 2 great boys 4 and 2, I was thinking about going back to the job world and working the over night shift as it seems great when I leave for work the boys will be sleeping and when I come home my husband will be ready to head out the door for work and I can bring my little man to pre-school and pick him up and etc.... I was just wondering if there is Moms out there with small children that do the overnight shift, how is your schedule during the day, my worries is that I wouldnt get enough sleep to start my shift.

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I don't work 3rd shift but I would be VERY concerned about getting enough sleep as well.. I would look at the exact hours you would be working and then see when you would get time to sleep.. Is only 1 child going to preschool or day care?  if so then when home with the other child how/when would you sleep? 

GOOD LUCK!

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM
I worked 3rd shift at a nursing home with two kids and pregnant with my 3rd. I was also sort of single at the time(long story for another time) anyways I'd get my kids in bed by 830-9pm and head out the door by 920 and be at work about in time for my 10pm to 6am shift. I'd get off at 6 come home get my two kids ready for daycare take them then come home and sleep. I'd sleep from about 8am to about 5pm. Get up, get the kids bring them home do dinner and bathes and in bed. And start that routine all over again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
telecomgirl
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I did the night shift for a while with 2 small kids (they were 5 and 3 at the time). It's unbelievably hard. Once I got home, I was unable to get enough sleep. Although I placed my daughter in daycare and my son was in school, I didn't get to sleep until 10am or so (after I dropped them both off, darkened the room to make it feel like night-time, and finally dozed off), and was up again by 2pm in order to get ready to pick up the kids, get them home, start dinner, do some chores around the house and head out again. I never saw my husband except in passing.

I got burned out from work, never got to spend time with my husband or kids even on my days off because I was sleeping all day, I was always overly tired, and had to drive with the windows open  to keep myself from falling asleep  behind the wheel. Not good.

I would highly recommend not doing it. A much better shift is the 2nd, or evening shift that typically runs 2pm-10pm or so. Then you'll still spend time with everyone and still get plenty of sleep, and you'll enjoy your days off and actually get to do things.

nf1
by Nina on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Sounds tough,
Make sure you would be able to get enough sleep,
Good luck & let us know what you decide :) 

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM
I couldn't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondie805
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 5:39 AM

I am getting ready to do the same. I have teen dd's but during school, I will have my gs. It's the last semester for her so it won't be long. This isn't going to be easy. I have done this before. Try to remain positive and remember why you are doing this. You will get your sleep and rest as long as you do this and not worry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)