Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Reading going into first grade

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

Should children going into 1st grade be able to read independantly? (Easy reader books of course maybe stage 2)

My son can read - he reads well. A girl in the same grade, same age - can not read anything but the very basics like "it" and "the"

I'm not talking about those gifted children who have been taught at an early age to read. I'm talking about average child who's just graduated kindergarten.

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by Tiffany on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM
My son reads independently and he's not in K yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tmtt27
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM
My daughter learned to read in kindergarten last year. By the end of k she was reading easy books on her on. I didn't think they could pass k without knowing how to read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tmtt27
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM
He is doing very good. Kindergarten will be easy for him.

Quoting VintageWife:

My son reads independently and he's not in K yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

In the state that I live in to get past K you have to be able to read to some extent- this means books that have at least 5-10 pages with 2-5 sentences on each page. All three of my kids could read very well going out of K. They all excel at reading now.

telecomgirl
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I'm not sure what is expected of incoming 1st graders. I do know that each kid develops and reads at different paces. My son did horrible through kindergarten and struggled a lot with reading. We practiced nightly, too...and I always read to him growing up as well....

Then over his summer break we kept at it and something just *clicked* in his brain and now he reads everything he sees and loves it and he's top in his class....he even nabbed the speaking part of an upcoming play The Little Red Hen"...which is this Wednesday!, I can't wait for it, I'm so proud of how far he's come in 1 year!!!!

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM
I think they're supposed to be able to read basics going into first grade. There are a list of sight words they 'should' know and should be able to sound out basic words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Now a days yes more *should* be able to ready by time they get into 1st grade,
However that is why the teacher is there to teach those that can't.
And there will be several.
Tendency today is more can read a bit/easy stuff by time they do reach 1st grade :)

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM

At my son's school they needed to be able to read 30 sight words to graduate kindergarten, but I think there were only a few in his class that could only read sight words.  They were the ones that didnt go to preschool or English was a second language.  Most everyone else was reading way more than just those words.   My son graduated Kindergarten last week and is reading or sounding out with great accuracy every word he sees.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Perhaps she will make up for it during summer and be on track with the rest of the kids by fall.. 

friend8622
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I'm not sure, however, from what I've been told here children in Kindergarten are taught how to read, like early reader books read.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN