Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Dog Rescues Newborn Baby After He Was Left in the Woods to Die

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dog Rescues Newborn Baby After He Was Left in the Woods to Die

Posted by Mary Fischer on June 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

dog runningOwners of a farm dog in Ghana feared that their beloved pet had gotten lost or injured when he didn't return home at the end of the day, so they organized a search party to look for him. They wound up looking for the pooch for a better part of the night -- and got the shock of their lives when they finally located him, because he wasn't alone. Lying next to him was an abandoned newborn baby who'd been "disposed of" sometime shortly after his birth. (How could any parent do such a thing?)

The poor infant still had his umbilical cord attached, which had gotten infected while he was left in the woods to die. And he very likely would've had a tragic ending to his story if this amazing dog hadn't cuddled up next to him all night to keep him warm.

And it turns out the newborn is the whole reason the dog didn't come home in the first place -- because he was found with the baby under a bridge very close to his house. He wasn't lost at all. He could've easily left the baby and gone home, but he must've somehow instinctively known that he couldn't leave the little guy outside all night alone, so he chose to remain with him until help arrived.

Police are investigating why the baby was abandoned, but suspect that he was born to teenage parents who couldn't care for him. (Doesn't that break your heart?)

This story is amazing no matter how you look at it, but the fact that the dog is a male makes it even more astonishing. Usually females are the ones with the maternal instincts, but this heroic pooch definitely makes us wonder if all dogs have an innate sense of when a little one needs to be cared for.

Hopefully the owners of the dog fed him some extra scraps from the table and gave him a few well deserved belly rubs when he finally got home. And wouldn't it be something if whoever winds up adopting the baby comes back to introduce him to the dog who saved his life someday?

Are your dogs protective of your kids?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
psych_mom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

We don't have a dog at the moment but the German Shepard we had when I was growing up was always protective of us.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

both of our dogs are protective of the kids... if I chase after the kids saying "I'm going to get you" (Playing of course) Snuggles will run over and jump up in between me and the kids to get me to stop chasing them. She's not aggressive just kinda like "hey look at me - pay attention to me so they can run away" lol I think she's hilarious when she does it. Brew use to block Dh from me when we'd fight. He'd either squeeze between us in bed or on the couch or he'd lay between the two rooms if i was in the kitchen and dh in the living room. I thought it was strange how they knew.

and this story is super sad :( I hope they find the infant a very loving family to be adopted into.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM

very sad someone would abandon a baby like that..so relieved there was a happy ending.

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That's an amazing story!!  Doesn't surprise me in the least though because since having DD I've discovered how protective animals can be.  It's incredible!!  :)

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Aw!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

what an amazing story...

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

How sad someone could do that :(
Thank goodness for the dog :)

mykidsmom75067
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Our dog is so protective of our entire family. She is only about 20 pounds but acts as though she is the size of a Great Dane when it comes to the kids. Anytime one of us is sick or in pain she stays right by us thinking she is taking care of us. When my DD had her braces put on she was in considerable pain the next day and Malley would not leave her side.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I have what I like to refer to as my 5 alarm bark alarm. 5 labs and ALL are protective of my kids,grandkids,myself , my SO and our home. This is a true testament to man's best friend and he instincly knew to stay by the baby. I have to go now...I  can't see through my tears. Peace

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)