Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kanye West's House Robbed While He's Thousands of Miles Away

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

Kanye West's House Robbed While He's Thousands of Miles Away

Posted by Mary Fischer on June 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Kanye WestHe's hard at work on tour in England right now, and this week, Kanye West's house was robbed back in L.A. And while there aren't exact details on what was taken from the home, hearing that unwanted guests have been in your house is always an awful feeling, regardless of whether they take a few things or empty the entire house.

Odds are good that the thieves targeted Kanye's house because they knew it was his residence. He recently put the home up for sale, so I'm sure they were able to find it on the MLS listing. And if they knew it was Kanye's house, then they also knew he was far, far away from home right now and wouldn't be there to stop them.

Celebrity homes are a tempting target for robbers, which is probably one of the reasons Kanye's gal pal, Kim Kardashian put her house up for sale as a pocket listing, so it wouldn't be on the MLS. (Too bad Kanye didn't follow her example.)

And even though Kanye likely has an alarm in his home, sometimes that really isn't enough to stop a determined thief. If they really want to get in -- they'll find a way to get in.

But hearing about his ordeal reminds us just how important it is to take steps to keep your home safe while you're on vacation.

1. Don't "advertise" the fact that you're going to be away: Translation -- don't post anything on Twitter or Facebook about your vacation until after you return. You never know who is "listening," and may see your post as an open invitation to break into your home.

2. Get a housesitter: If you are going away for a longer period of time, you may want to think about having a friend stay at your house while you're away. Nothing deters thieves as well as someone being present in the home.

3. Put your lights on timers: Simply leaving one or two lights on isn't enough to stop someone from breaking in. Actually, it's kind of a dead giveaway if the same lights are on for multiple days and nights. Put different lights on timers & switch them up.

4. Stop your mail: A mailbox full of letters is another red flag that you've been gone for a few days. Put your mail on vacation hold with the post office before you go away, and then have them deliver it when you return.

5. Alert a neighbor: Let a trusted neighbor know you are going to be away, and have them keep an eye out for anything fishy that may be going on. An extra set of eyes goes a long way.

You can hear more about the robbery at Kanye's house in the video clip below.

Click HERE to see video.

What steps do you take to keep your home safe while you're gone?

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
psych_mom
by Stacy on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

We always get a housesitter and we never post in a public forum that we are away from our home, even if for a day before hand, only after we have left and come back.

3cutiebugs
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I let my neighbors know we will be gone, and my cat is a good watchdog, lol.
i was laughing about some of these as I was reading... I always leave the porch light on, all day everyday, and i only check my mail 2 or 3 times a week, so these things would be normal around here! We have a great neighborhood watch, though, and never go out of town for more than 2 nights, so I'm not worried about it too much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You would think with millions and millions of dollars these "stars" homes would be better protected from burglary.

Here you can alert the police station and they'll stop by your house twice a day to take a look around at it.

Normally we have one of our friends come over and check on the house everyday, lock it up, timed lights that go with our normal schedule. If we're taking my car we'll park his truck in the open garage so it looks like mine is in the closed garage. We turn off ringers on the phones, unplug everything that doesn't need to be (tvs, toaster, etc). Alert the neighbors near by so that when they drive past they'll pay attention.

I can say that IF I was a multi-millionair like these people, I'd have guards walking the exterior of my property, full on alarm system covering every each of my property, etc.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

We have an alarm system(set it before we leave)..If it goes off for any reason we are notified..I can also reset it remotely. I can also log on and see the inside and outside of my house. 

We have our lights on timers

our neighbors are pretty good about keeping an eye out

I can notify the local police station we will be out of town and they will do drive bys while we are gone. 

SassyWildflower
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

i have a couple neighbors that will be watching our house while we're gone & my mom will be stopping by everyday to feed the cats :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)