Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Turkey and stuffing in my crock pot.. - updated in a post..

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • 20 Replies

I'm putting a LOT of effots into making a YUMMY dinner tonight..   I googled and found this YUMMY looking recipe.

• 1 (6-oz.) package buttermilk cornbread mix
  • 1 (2 1/2-lb.) bone-in, skin-on turkey breast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
  • 1 1/2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 (14-oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth

Preparation

1. Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions; let cool completely (about 30 minutes). Coarsely crumble cornbread (about 3 cups).

2. Rinse turkey, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add turkey to skillet, skin side down, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet. Add onion and next 3 ingredients to skillet, and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.

4. Stir together onion mixture, stuffing mix, eggs, low-sodium chicken broth, and crumbled cornbread in a large bowl.

5. Place stuffing mixture in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with turkey, skin side up. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 170° and stuffing registers 165°. Remove turkey from slow cooker, and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

I ALSO found this recipe and realized the bacon sounded YUMMY but that it wasn't a crock pot recipe so I combined them.. I hope it pays off..

• 4 slices bacon
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 (8" x 8") pan baked cornbread, crumbled
  • 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1 (4-6 pound) turkey breast, thawed if frozen
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chicken broth

Preparation:

In medium pan, cook bacon until very crisp; drain, crumble, and set aside. Drain pan; do not wipe out. Add 3 tablespoons butter; cook onion and garlic until tender. Place in large bowl.

Add thyme, crumbled cornbread, chicken broth, egg, poultry seasonings, pecans, and bacon. Place in roasting pan.

Press down on turkey breast to crack slightly so breast will sit upright. Place over stuffing, pushing stuffing under turkey. Rub skin with 2 tablespoons butter and pour 1 cup chicken broth into pan.

Roast at 350 degrees F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Cover and let stand 10 minutes, then slice turkey and serve with stuffing. Serves 6

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

sounds yummy!  Hope it turns out good!

friend8622
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM
That's sounds yummy. I think we are having a turkey dinner tonight too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Sounds good - I have no clue what we will be having as of right now... :-/ I need to get my bum in gear.

psych_mom
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Let us know how it turns out. I may have to try it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It was 1 large bone in breast and I had NO CLUE what to do with it so I googled and found this.. I wanted to do something in the crock pot because I'm addicted to my CP.. HAHAH  Plus I didn't want to heat up my house to much..  It is supposed to be in the 70's today and I like it that way LOL!! 

What are you doing with your turkey?

Quoting friend8622:

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I will.. Basically I followed the first recipe but added bacon from the 2nd. That's pretty much the ONLY thing I did differntly..  It smells AMAZING!!!!!

Quoting psych_mom:

Let us know how it turns out. I may have to try it.

friend8622
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Just putting mine in the oven. I'll have to find a smaller breast sometime and try your recipe though.

Quoting rocamom:

It was 1 large bone in breast and I had NO CLUE what to do with it so I googled and found this.. I wanted to do something in the crock pot because I'm addicted to my CP.. HAHAH  Plus I didn't want to heat up my house to much..  It is supposed to be in the 70's today and I like it that way LOL!! 

What are you doing with your turkey?

Quoting friend8622:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Yum!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

sound so yummy...let us know how it turns out(pics)..i might give it a try if you give it a good review.

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

OK girls here is the update.. It was REALLY Yummy.. The stuffing was GREAT..  My problem was my probe on my Crock pot isn't working right and I went with the probe setting so it should have turned off when it reached 170 but it never did reach that according to my probe.. UGH!!!  Hubby decided to use the regular thermometer and it said it was 180 UGH!!  So I made some gravy to help it.  The turkey was NOT as dry as I thought it was going to be but the gravy was yummy..  ANYWAY, I shouldn't give bad results because my CP malfunctioned UGH!!  I WILL make this recipe again for sure.. Hubby thought it was good too..  He agreed that I should make it again but not use the probe..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)