Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do your kids attend summer school?  are you embarassed to admint it if they do?

It got me thinking when a friend of mine posted it on FB today.  I think if my kids had to go I would be to embarassed to put it on FB.  I mean I know some kids need extra help and can't help it.. I think both her kids were in summer school last year too..

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Replies (21-25):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

When my kids were much older they did,
It was to take classes to get them out of the way if you kwim :)

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Quoting rocamom:

You mean they request it?  I didn't know that was an option..

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Some parents send their kids for other reasons though. Such as instead of paying a sitter those hours or just to get them out of their hair. Also children forget things they've learned from the average 2 months off. By sending them its like a refresher class.

Quoting rocamom:

Yes but her kids are in Elementary school so in my view that's completely different.. If I were in college or even high school I would just say I'm taking classes and I don't think I would call is summer school..  I fee SO bad for kids that have to be in summer school but again I know sometimes they can't help it..  My brother went but this was 20 + years ago and it was before all the testing they can do.. It ended up we found out he was dyslexic which is a problem kids can't help.  I don't know if her kids have issues like that but I don't think I would put it on FB.. I don't know....

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Some people take summer school to get ahead in their classes. I know in high school I took summer school to graduate early...

Yes, you can request summer school. Originally I had my son enrolled in a summer school program through our school district.  I didn't care for the program they offered  - it was too much for a kinder going into First - so I withdrew him and enrolled him in private programs, but SS in my area is available for kids that are behind, average, or excelling in their classes.

fullxbusymom
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM

My kindergartner and freshmen in HS are in summer school.  Nope not embarrased and everyone we know is aware. We also live in one of the best school systems in the world.  Just don't understand what there is to be embarrassed about!!

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Maybe I would feel embarrassed, but at the end of the day, I would realize that summer school was for my child's benefit. If someone wants to talk mess, show me their child's report card. If that child must go to summer school every single summer until he or she earns their high school diploma, oh well! I believe I would be MORE embarrassed if my child was a high school dropout than an every summer school attendee. When they get tired of sitting in hot classrooms when everyone else is in the park, at the beach, and so forth, something will click. If not, summer school it is.

Do not mean to come across harsh, but if something (summer school, tutoring, more tutoring, one-one counseling) is beneficial for our children, there is really no reason to be ashamed. Yes, some children need that extra help. I was one of them-I was always stuck in summer school or tutoring for dreadful mathematics and science. And on a more personal level, my 13-year-old will probably have to go to summer school in the future because she is a class clown and does not take education seriously. And I will tell people that she is a class clown and does not take education seriously so she is in summer school sweating out her chemically straightened hair.

nf1
by Nina on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM
This

Quoting friend8622:

Not yet, I'm hoping they won't have to.  I think I would be embarrassed too. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)