Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

christianity and tattoos

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
  • 30 Replies

I promise I am not trying to start drama. I'm just trying to understand.

I had mentioned to a friend of mine about my plans to get a tattoo.

Just before I could even show her the drawings I had planned, she told me it's a sin to get one...the bible says to not put permanent markings on the body and they are forbidden. She wasn't sure on what book or verse it was, but was confident that is isn't ok.

I'll admit, I'm not the best at knowing every word in the bible. I simply just try to live a good life.

Does anyone here know what she's talking about? Do any of you feel the same? Or differently?

Just looking for some clarification here, any and all replies are appreciated ....... :)

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I've heard the same thing. I don't believe the same thing. I'm a Christian. 

Some of the greatest ministers that i personally know, are bikers w/ tats! & not just a few of them!! LOL They will pray with you/for you. They minister the Word everywheree they go. They are good, Godly people. I'd sit under their ministry over several of these "clean-cut" "christian" ministers i've come across! LOL

I think that as long as they are tasteful, not vulgar or anything like that, tats are fine. 

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I bet this is the scripture she's talking about from the Old Testament::

Leviticus 19:28 (Amplified) which says, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I just looked up some stuff and found this article. Maybe it can be of some help to you too =)

http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/tattoochristian.htm

Question: Tattoos and Christians - Should Christians Have Tattoos?

What does the Bible say about tattoos? Is it a sin to get a tattoo?

Besides looking into what the Bible says about tattoos, together we'll consider the concerns surrounding tattooing today and present a self quiz to help you decide if getting a tattoo is right or wrong.
Answer: The answer, I believe, is yes and no.

To Tattoo or Not To?

This is a question many Christians struggle with. I believe tattooing falls into the category of "disputable matters" where the Bible is not clear.But wait a minute, you might be thinking. The Bible says in Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord." (NLT) How much clearer can that be?

It's important, however, to look at the verse in context. This passage in Leviticus, including the surrounding text, is specifically dealing with the pagan religious rituals of the people living around the Israelites. God’s desire is to set his people apart from other cultures. The focus here is prohibiting worldly, heathen worship and witchcraft. God forbids his holy people to engage in idolatrous, pagan worship and sorcery which imitates the heathens. He does this out of protection, because he knows this will lead them away from the one true God.

It's interesting to observe verse 26, "Do not eat meat that has not been drained of its blood," and verse 27, "Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards." Well, certainly many Christians today eat non-kosher meats and get haircuts without participating in the forbidden worship of pagans. Back then these customs were associated with pagan rites and rituals. Today they are not.

So, the important question remains, is getting a tattoo a form of pagan, worldly worship still forbidden by God today? My answer is, this matter is disputable, and should be treated as aRomans 14 issue.

If you are considering the question, "To tattoo or not to?" I think the more serious questions to ask yourself are: What are my motives for wanting a tattoo? Am I seeking to glorify God or draw attention to myself? Will my tattoo be a source of contention for my loved ones? Will getting a tattoo cause me to disobey my parents? Will my tattoo cause someone who is weak in the faith to stumble?

Ladybug.Hugs
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I know what she's talking about...I've heard people say that...But like you, I don't know much about the bible-I don't believe in the bible & I don't even like it to be honest...I think, it's your body if you want a tattoo you should have one, it shouldn't matter what a book says...

psych_mom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a Christian and I have two tattoos. I do not feel that I am in the wrong. My brother is a youth minister and he has about 7 or 8. I believe that you can have tattoos if you want them, when our bodies are resurrected they are going to be made perfect, they will not have the tattoos any more, so it is not her place to tell you if you can have a tattoo. Jesus came so that we do not have to live by the laws of the Old Testament anymore, so that we can be free of that life and if we live by those laws we are to follow all of them, including the sacrifices that are in there for forgiveness. I am not sure about you, but I would rather not have to do all of that. If you are doing something wrong, and you have a relationship with God, He is going to let you know.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I am Christian.... but I believe that your body doesn't go into heaven with you so it doesn't matter.

I think it's up to the individual and what they believe in. 

psych_mom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I am not trying to cause an argument with you, but our bodies with be ressurected the way that Jesus' body was, will be changed the way that his was and that is how we will go to Heaven. It is not just our soul that goes. I will be back with scripture to support this if you would like.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

I am Christian.... but I believe that your body doesn't go into heaven with you so it doesn't matter.

I think it's up to the individual and what they believe in. 

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

i love all of this but that last line especially!

If you're a Christian, the Holy Spirit will convict you on something if you shouldn't be doing it.

Quoting psych_mom:

I am a Christian and I have two tattoos. I do not feel that I am in the wrong. My brother is a youth minister and he has about 7 or 8. I believe that you can have tattoos if you want them, when our bodies are resurrected they are going to be made perfect, they will not have the tattoos any more, so it is not her place to tell you if you can have a tattoo. Jesus came so that we do not have to live by the laws of the Old Testament anymore, so that we can be free of that life and if we live by those laws we are to follow all of them, including the sacrifices that are in there for forgiveness. I am not sure about you, but I would rather not have to do all of that. If you are doing something wrong, and you have a relationship with God, He is going to let you know.

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I think this is a good place to bust out this awesome graphic that my good friend (the biker minister) posted on his FB. I loved it!

wamhas
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

i am actuallyl not sure! I will have to look into it.  but i do know that if u do have a tatoo (even if its forbidden) then God will forgive you. U can stillk make it to heaven with tats and all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN