Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Should You Make Your Guests Take Off Their Shoes?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 20 Replies

Should You Make Your Guests Take Off Their Shoes?

Posted by Amy Kuras on July 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Right up there with breastfeeding, circumcision, and politics is this hot button issue: Shoes in the house or no?

Personally, I'm a "shoes are OK" kind of person. I understand it keeps your house cleaner to not wear them, and my family generally ditches shoes indoors. But when people come to my house, I want them to be comfortable, and if that means keeping their shoes on, they can go right on ahead.

To my great surprise, JoAnn from Bensonhurst agrees with me. In this latest episode of her show, she tackles all kinds of cleaning questions from viewers, including the shoe question. Check out what she has to say in the video, after the jump. 

To illustrate her point: "I'll never, ever forget the first time I met my in-laws. There I was, a nice 20-something from a nice family who just so happened to allow the wearing of shoes indoors, meeting my very promising boyfriend's parents for the first time. And upon meeting me, instead of 'It's so nice to meet you, our son has been telling us a lot about you' or even 'Hi,' the very first words my future MIL spoke to me was to bark 'SHOES OFF' when I walked through the door. Sigh."

I'm with JoAnn. You can clean when they leave -- let your guests be comfortable.  If it's wet or muddy outside, or if I'd been tromping around their garden, I would certainly ask if someone preferred I ditch my shoes. To me, wearing slippers, stocking feet or going barefoot are for close family and intimate friends; padding around someone's house in your socks is like showing up in your bathrobe. Do what you want for your family, but let guests keep their feet covered! Listen to JoAnn, people:

Click HERE to see video.

For more tell-it-like-it-is looks at motherhood, subscribe to CafeMom Studios YouTube Channel. 

Do you make guests remove their shoes?

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
telecomgirl
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Nope, my guests get to keep their shoes on!

fullxbusymom
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, it is rude to make them remove them.

My sister trys to make me everytime I go over.  I don't mind in the summer but in the colder months I absolutely refuse. 

psych_mom
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

No, but me, my dh and kids do.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

No, i don't require, but we have ours off..

laniramommy
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I do feel if this is someones houserule you have to respect it! I do prefer for people to take their shoes off actually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladybug.Hugs
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Anyone who comes to my home REMOVES their shoes before coming in...No one who has come over has ever minded...My landlord even takes his shoes off before coming in, not because I ask him to, but because of the sign on my door :) none of them mind..

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I'm semi-lenient but now that Timmy has started being more mobile on the floor I really would prefer them off. Him putting his hands on the garbage on the bottoms of shoes then in his mouth makes me wanna puke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

We remove our shoes but we don't ask our guests to remove theirs. Unless it's one of my son's friends and they've been playing in the creek.

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I don't ask anyone to but I also don't have pretty carpet either. lOl.. if i did, i would ask them to. i don't mind when someone asks this of me b/c it's their home. we always had to remove our shoes when we went to our grandparents house-even to this day- b/c they have white carpet.

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Nope....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)