Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Thoughts & Prayers Please - BIG update 7.22 11:54am

While I was gone on vacation - Dh was complaining of being sick and throwing up, etc. I told him it was probably food poisioning caused from eating 15 hamburgers in 36 hours! So I advised him to go be seen incase it was something they could help with.

He came back (this was Sunday night) and said it was food posioning they gave him fluids and he felt better...

Well he never said anything more about it.

So Tuesday night he tells me he's not feeling good again and he's going to the ER. I said ok let me know if I need to leave early (it would have only been a few hours earlier that scheduled anyway).

I texted at midnight. No response.

So we got up at 9 and started our travel by 10. At 11 I get a phone call telling me that he's been admitted! Of course no matter how much I would have loved to flown up here as quickly as possible - it wasn't going to happen!

At 4 they finally gave him a room. I didn't arrive till 6:30pm and still at that point had no idea what was going on other that he didn't feel well.

So his mom (who was staying with my family while I was gone) caught me up on what had been going on. Apparently he never quit puking from Sunday to Tuesday night and by tuesday night he was bringing up green stuff which is when he decided it was time to go back in and be seen.

So by 8:30 I still hadn't seen a nurse or talked to anyone medical about his condition (after asking the CA *who knew nothing* when I first came to have the nurse come in and then calling up to the desk to ask) ... so I walked up to the main desk and asked for the nurse on duty to come back asap because I'd like to know what's going on!

Within 10 mins, she (the nurse) came back and I told her that I was away and arrived at 6:30 and needed to be updated! So she told me that they were going to have him drink a contrast then do a CT scan to see if and where there is a blockage. They believe that theres a blockage and they'll have to do surgery to unblock it. We'll cross that bridge after the CT scan which is within the next hour...

I'll try my best to keep updating as time goes on.

Thanks everyone for listening to me ramble and for the thoughts/prayers!!!

12:44am - he just came back from the CT Scan. No real news but just letting everyone know that it's been done. We hope to hear something around 5am. Till then Im going to curl up in the chair and try to get some sleep.

8:07am - I did actually get some sleep in the chair (very surprised). Surgery team was in at 7. They said that the scan showed multiple twists. They just did a second scan to see if any of them have untwisted naturally. If they haven't then the next step is surgery. If they have, we'll stay monitored and stick to IV medication. They're also doing a 24 hour urinalysis also to check for any infections.

I will say he looks better. He's got more coloring to him (which is probably thanks to the IV fluids). Kid's are here to visit with him for a few. We won't know any more till they review the latest scan with the whole team.

9:16am - the surgery team came in and announced that they are going to do a  laparoscopic surgery to start with to see what the blockage is and try to help it unblock semi-naturally by pushing thru fluids to help flush it through. If they come across a section that's too damaged or unhealthy then they'll remove it. If they have to remove a section then they'll have to open him up cause a greater risk and more complications.

10:36am - They just took him back for the surgery. I stayed in the room hoping to be distracted enough that I won't go crazy for however long he'll be gone. They just said it would depend on what they find and how it goes.

5:10pm - He didn't get into surgery till noon (after being prepped, etc). They went in and found that scar tissue from a previous surgery had caused a major blockage so they have to take out that whole section of intestine. They got the rest untwisted and back to normal easily after that they said. He came back to the room around 4:30pm and complaining like a baby (over the top lol). They hooked him up to PC pump (pain meds by him clicking the button himself) so now he's in a happy place for the moment. He still has the tube up his nose to help pump his stomach out. Now it's just about recovery. They said AT LEAST 3 days. More than likely more since he has to basically start over on eating.  

3:43pm - he's doing very well. I've had him up walking around doing loops around. They took off the bandage over his staples - very pleased with how they look. The nurse said there's over 20 staples. He got to take a shower and I shaved his face, helped him brush his teeth, and brushed/combed out his hair. He's being really good but he's 'starving to death' {his words}. He hasn't actually ate since Saturday (thanks to the throwing up before being admitted). So we're trying to push at least for some chicken broth. They predict he'll get to go home Monday afternoon/evening.

10:52a - LIQUID DIET!!!!  Wohoo! I've never seen him so happy to eat broth! lol We've been walking every two hours - making them just a little bit longer each tme (started with one loop and now we are up to 3!) He had beef broth and tea for breakfast - I'm not sure what hell get for lunch but we're gong to get some jello and popsicles for him to munch on in betwen. They told him as long as he can tolerate it - to eat/drink!

At this rate it looks like Tuesday to be discharged instead of Monday since we spent yesterday in limbo.

11:52a -

IF he can keep his regular lunch down ------ HE CAN GO HOME TONIGHT!!!!!!! :D I'm so shocked but hey I'll take it! He's been doing so great! So now just to get through lunch and the few hours afterwards and we should be home by tonight!

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Replies (41-50):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Prayers continue that he'll continue to improve and be home and back to his old self real soon.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Glad to hear he is doing better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

YAY!! so glad to hear he's doing so well!!

telecomgirl
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Wow, glad to hear he has so much improvement!!

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

How scary indeed. I hope his recovery is quick and he'll be back on track soon. Thanks for the updat. Hugs

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Glad hes doing better. Praying he cont to make a full recovery.

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Hope thing are improving for him!

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay!!  

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Hope he is able to go home!
Appreciate your updates :)

Join us at

Time Out for You

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM
He's home!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)