Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Graduation- To go or not to go?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM
  • 41 Replies

As most of you know, I graduate next May (yippee), but I am so torn about going. It is about 6-8 hours away in Virginia and there will be about 6,000-7,000 other people that will be attending the ceremony and a total of about 25,000 total that will graduate. This means that with families there will be close to 30,000 people on campus not including faculty, staff and resident students (which will add about another 5,000 people to the crowd). I have to make my decision soon because I need to reserve a hotel room if I am going to go.

I will be honest, I feel very overwhelmed in large crowds of 100-200 people, so I know that in a crowd of this size it could be very frustrating for me and it could bring on a very bad migraine, possibly the kind that sent me to the hospital last summer.

I am just wondering if for my bachelor's degree if I should possibly do something else with my husband and kids to celebrate graduation and then wait two years and go to my Master's graduation and maybe do some things like go to concerts and such to expose myself to large crowds over time to get used to what I will be experiencing during graduation.

Also, none of my family is interested in going to see me graduate other than my husband and kids. Although I am the first out of my siblings to do this, and out of my parents and their siblings, my parents really don't care about seeing it actually happen. When I asked them if they were going to attend they made some excuse, so I don't even plan on bringing it up to them again.

Any thoughts?

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You do what YOU feel is the best for you.

I didn't go to my graduation. It was in Cincy which is 8 hours away. I didn't have the funds to go, nor did I really want to be surrounded by thousands of strangers to get something that they were going to mail to me anyhow!

If you still want to celebrate (and I think you should) - I'd have a small celebration party or just go out to a nice resturant (family or just DH) and toast to your graduation.... You could even wear the gown and cap out if you wished LOL Throw your own graduation in your backyard!

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Personally, *I* would want to go to my graduation. When i graduated high school, it didn't seem that important to ME to walk the line. Looking back, I'm so glad and PROUD that I did it. (I was the first to graduate high school in my family since my mom!)

BUT--you know your body. You know what you can handle. If it would affect you to the point where you're worried you could be placed back into the hospital, I wouldn't go. 

Whether you go or not, you still did it!! Congrats Stacy!

psych_mom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I guess I am torn because two years after this is my master's graduation as well. If I wasn't going for that then there would be no question in my mind about going. I'm definitely going to my master's graduation, but this one I'm just back and forth on.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Personally, *I* would want to go to my graduation. When i graduated high school, it didn't seem that important to ME to walk the line. Looking back, I'm so glad and PROUD that I did it. (I was the first to graduate high school in my family since my mom!)

BUT--you know your body. You know what you can handle. If it would affect you to the point where you're worried you could be placed back into the hospital, I wouldn't go. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I'm definitely celebrating regardless- I've worked too hard not to.

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

You do what YOU feel is the best for you.

I didn't go to my graduation. It was in Cincy which is 8 hours away. I didn't have the funds to go, nor did I really want to be surrounded by thousands of strangers to get something that they were going to mail to me anyhow!

If you still want to celebrate (and I think you should) - I'd have a small celebration party or just go out to a nice resturant (family or just DH) and toast to your graduation.... You could even wear the gown and cap out if you wished LOL Throw your own graduation in your backyard!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I don't like large crowds of people either. I did not go to my High School Graduation but I really have no regrets about not going. Why don't you just sleep on it for a few days before you make up your mind :)

psych_mom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM
I've been debating for about 3 or 4 months now, lol. I still haven't figured it out.

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

I don't like large crowds of people either. I did not go to my High School Graduation but I really have no regrets about not going. Why don't you just sleep on it for a few days before you make up your mind :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM

In that case, i wouldn't go to this one. Just the one for the Master's.

Quoting psych_mom:

I guess I am torn because two years after this is my master's graduation as well. If I wasn't going for that then there would be no question in my mind about going. I'm definitely going to my master's graduation, but this one I'm just back and forth on.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

I've been debating for about 3 or 4 months now, lol. I still haven't figured it out.

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Well do you think you will have a lot of regrets if you don't go? Does your husband and kids want you too attend?  I hate \ when something is weighing on your mind and you just don't know what to do. It just makes your head hurt thinking about it all. It will come to you what you wanna do :) 

psych_mom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM

My husband has a fear of losing one of the kids in that crowd, lol. They aren't little any more and will 12, 10 and almost 9 at graduation, but he is still concerned. It is a very hectic weekend with lots of activities and moving around from one place to the next.

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Well do you think you will have a lot of regrets if you don't go? Does your husband and kids want you too attend?  I hate \ when something is weighing on your mind and you just don't know what to do. It just makes your head hurt thinking about it all. It will come to you what you wanna do :) 

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

My husband has a fear of losing one of the kids in that crowd, lol. They aren't little any more and will 12, 10 and almost 9 at graduation, but he is still concerned. It is a very hectic weekend with lots of activities and moving around from one place to the next.

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

I can understand that my daughter is 9 and I always have my eye on her. I can't imagine watching kids in a large crowd like that though. You guys would not be able to enjoy the graduation you would be worried about the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)