Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

protecting inflatable outdoor pool??

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

We just got an intex one, and figured the ground cover/ tarps would be suffiecient for keeping it safe.  However, we're currently living in the desert, and the house we're renting has a dirt back yard.  We paid to have it raked and all the "plants" removed, and it was perfectly smooth.  I guess there's rocks underneath the dirt that are coming up from the weight or something and we're stepping on them in the pool, and these little spikey things too.  I have no idea what they're called.  My first thought was to try to get some of those industrial rubber mats with the grids, that are about a 1/2 inch thick, and place it under the tarps to kind of get it off the ground some, but I can't really find them anywhere, and the rubber "drainage mats" (closest thing I could find) come in small rolls and are pretty darn expensive.  I'm not wanting to put a ton of money into it since we're only here for a few more months.... but UGH.  It's getting annoying.  Suggestions??  Ideas?

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
crabbyD
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about! We have an intex frame pool... We had the same rock issue. We drained the pool and removed those rocks then we combed our lawn again searching for more rocks... Anywho while trying to find solutions dh suggested using this extremely thick workout mat he had his weight set on to place on the bottom..... I think those come in nice sizeable rolls... Or maybe padding you can use for a playground? I think that would work too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I am absolutely no help. Hope you get some good answers.

mrsdic
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Where do you get that kind of thing?  My husbands being a tool and pouting about it (he might have to do something else, boohoo), so I'm not about to ask him.  I've been looking all over the lowes/ home depot websites.  I found garage flooring, which is 3.99/sq foot..... and weird rubber mats that I believe are just for keeping plants from growing, but nothing like that.  Thank you for your answer!!!  I figured it was a shot in the dark asking if anyone knew anything about that.

Quoting crabbyD:

I know exactly what you're talking about! We have an intex frame pool... We had the same rock issue. We drained the pool and removed those rocks then we combed our lawn again searching for more rocks... Anywho while trying to find solutions dh suggested using this extremely thick workout mat he had his weight set on to place on the bottom..... I think those come in nice sizeable rolls... Or maybe padding you can use for a playground? I think that would work too.

mrsdic
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM

lol thank you, I hope so too! 

Turns out hubby is absolutely no help either lol.... it's just pissing him off.  He had to go take a nap.  So it's all me figuring it out, and him saying it's fine and we'll just deal!  (I'm not bitter/angry or anything....)

angry

Quoting psych_mom:

I am absolutely no help. Hope you get some good answers.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM
What about the interlocking playmates? You know the ones I'm talking about? They are a foamy rubber and come in brightly cored squares that interlock like puzzle pieces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsdic
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Like the kid ones??  I would think they would be more foam than rubber and would worry the underground rocky things would cut through that, but I wonder if I can find them more rubbery....

Quoting Linds2Horse:

What about the interlocking playmates? You know the ones I'm talking about? They are a foamy rubber and come in brightly cored squares that interlock like puzzle pieces.

crabbyD
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Shoot I was thinking home depot would have something.... How about sports authority or sports mart? I'd also look on Walmart site... Maybe type rubber mats or playground matting... Wait.. Amazon!!!!! I saw some rubber mats while searching for a yoga mat.

Quoting mrsdic:

Where do you get that kind of thing?  My husbands being a tool and pouting about it (he might have to do something else, boohoo), so I'm not about to ask him.  I've been looking all over the lowes/ home depot websites.  I found garage flooring, which is 3.99/sq foot..... and weird rubber mats that I believe are just for keeping plants from growing, but nothing like that.  Thank you for your answer!!!  I figured it was a shot in the dark asking if anyone knew anything about that.

Quoting crabbyD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
They are fairly thick.

Quoting mrsdic:

Like the kid ones??  I would think they would be more foam than rubber and would worry the underground rocky things would cut through that, but I wonder if I can find them more rubbery....

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN