Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

considering moving and need info if you live in these areas!...PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 26 Replies

DH and I have mulled this idea over in various ways over the years, but it looks like moving might be the thing we need, and it would probably need to happen in the next couple years.

He can transfer within his company, and after one more year with them, they would pay for our move. We're currently in CA and the cost of living is really starting to take it's toll, among a few other reasons for us to move. I've lived in this area my whole life and have only visited Oregon and Washington briefly, so I don't have much information on other states. DH was in AmeriCorps for a year and moved around the east coast and southern states during that time, so he's got a little more info, but not much.

We have a few states that are options (where centers are located) and any information would be appreciated :) We're not only looking for house costs/cost of living, but what the weather is like, if they are nice areas, and how involved the state gets as far as homeschool (if anyone has experience).

Arizona, Chandler

New Mexico, Albuquerque

Minnesota, Mankato

Arkansas, Little Rock

Alabama, Opelika

Georgia, Alpharetta

Tennessee

-Franklin

-Murfreesboro

North Carolina

-Charlotte

-Wilmington

South Carolina

-North Charleston

-Columbia

-Elgin

-Greenville

Maine, Bangor

Connecticut, Wallingford

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I live about 45 minutes north of Alpharetta and let me tell you the cost of living is high there as well. It is one of the nicer, more expensive suburbs of Atlanta. A few years ago it made the list of top 10 cities with most millionaires under 40 or 50, something like that. It is a very nice place though, and I am sure that it has more middle class areas in it, just like every other city does. Just wanted to warn you that it can be very expensive to live there.

telecomgirl
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I'm from Washington state so I'm not sure about any of those locations...

I do wish you luck in finding the perfect place for your family though! :)

sreichelt26
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Washington state is our dream state to live in, but unfortunately dh's company doesn't have any locations there :( He's getting into app development, so hopefully if that takes off and work isn't really an issue (since he can work from anywhere and from home) then we'll probably move there.

We're just tired of barely skating by with bills and the cost of living. And I'm ready to be out of CA lol

Quoting telecomgirl:

I'm from Washington state so I'm not sure about any of those locations...

I do wish you luck in finding the perfect place for your family though! :)

sreichelt26
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Thanks for letting me know!!

It's easy to look at real estate/prices online, but hard to know what the area is like and cost of living, which is why I wanted to post. I really appreciate the info :)

Quoting psych_mom:

I live about 45 minutes north of Alpharetta and let me tell you the cost of living is high there as well. It is one of the nicer, more expensive suburbs of Atlanta. A few years ago it made the list of top 10 cities with most millionaires under 40 or 50, something like that. It is a very nice place though, and I am sure that it has more middle class areas in it, just like every other city does. Just wanted to warn you that it can be very expensive to live there.

MunchiesMom324
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I live just south of Greenville, SC (it's about a 30min drive) and I LOVE it.  I grew up in a city just outside of Greenville (Mauldin) and now I'm out in the country.  Beautiful weather (except the heat wave, that was no fun) Cost of living depends on where you go.  The city areas (Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville, etc) are higher, and Greenville county has higher tax rates (property tax) than Laurens County (where I live). 

Also, Mauldin/Simpsonville are great for the neighborhoods, with the postage stamp yards and cookie cutter houses... where as Fountain Inn and Gray Court have more rural areas.  Be careful though, Laurens (like, the city of) and Spartanburg are high-crime areas. 

I couldn't tell you anything about homeschooling, but I do know a bit about the public school system here.

aj23
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I live about an hour from Murfreesboro Tn and Franklin isn't much farther. There is no state tax but the sales tax is a bit high at 9% on non foods.
The cost of living is really low where I am and only a tad bit higher in those towns but still much, much cheaper than CA. You can get a nice house for under $150,000 in Murfreesboro. Franklin is more upscale and a little more expensive but Murfreesboro has some really nice areas too. There are also options outside of town to live to lower housing cost since they are both along the interstate.
The weather is good and usually mild. There's not too many extremes it doesn't have 100 degree weather or major snow storms often. Sometimes there are tornados during the spring but not many and rarely any strong ones.
As far as home schooling from what I hear its easy to do here. The state website has the information on it. Its tn.gov if you want to check it out, you can search for homeschool.
I go to Murfreesboro all the time for shopping since its the closest large city to me so I could tell you just about anything you wanted to know about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Charleston is awesome!
Let us know where you decide  to go :)

Join us at

Time Out for You

psych_mom
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM

You're not very far from me.

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

I live just south of Greenville, SC (it's about a 30min drive) and I LOVE it.  I grew up in a city just outside of Greenville (Mauldin) and now I'm out in the country.  Beautiful weather (except the heat wave, that was no fun) Cost of living depends on where you go.  The city areas (Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville, etc) are higher, and Greenville county has higher tax rates (property tax) than Laurens County (where I live). 

Also, Mauldin/Simpsonville are great for the neighborhoods, with the postage stamp yards and cookie cutter houses... where as Fountain Inn and Gray Court have more rural areas.  Be careful though, Laurens (like, the city of) and Spartanburg are high-crime areas. 

I couldn't tell you anything about homeschooling, but I do know a bit about the public school system here.

sreichelt26
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Thanks! I think we're leaning towards the Carolinas, which we kinda were to start, with Tennessee as a backup. I forgot to mention in my op that we're in NorCal, so we're looking for a lot lower cost of living than most would expect lol. We paid 195,000 for house (1300/mo) and it's tight on our income with other bills. So that's a big influence. We'd have to find a decent area and house for either the same price but much lower cost of living, or lower cost for the house too.

Quoting hugss:

Charleston is awesome!
Let us know where you decide  to go :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sagely
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Alpharetta is a very nice area as a pp stated.  But, there are some more mid-range areas surrounding Alpharetta as well.  I live in East Marietta, only about 20 minutes from Alpharetta.  My cost of living is much lower (especially my taxes!!) and the commute is very reasonable.

Whenever we go out to eat or anything...we do so in Alpharetta.  People seem much more...polished.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)