Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

considering moving and need info if you live in these areas!...PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I have mulled this idea over in various ways over the years, but it looks like moving might be the thing we need, and it would probably need to happen in the next couple years.

He can transfer within his company, and after one more year with them, they would pay for our move. We're currently in CA and the cost of living is really starting to take it's toll, among a few other reasons for us to move. I've lived in this area my whole life and have only visited Oregon and Washington briefly, so I don't have much information on other states. DH was in AmeriCorps for a year and moved around the east coast and southern states during that time, so he's got a little more info, but not much.

We have a few states that are options (where centers are located) and any information would be appreciated :) We're not only looking for house costs/cost of living, but what the weather is like, if they are nice areas, and how involved the state gets as far as homeschool (if anyone has experience).

Arizona, Chandler

New Mexico, Albuquerque

Minnesota, Mankato

Arkansas, Little Rock

Alabama, Opelika

Georgia, Alpharetta

Tennessee

-Franklin

-Murfreesboro

North Carolina

-Charlotte

-Wilmington

South Carolina

-North Charleston

-Columbia

-Elgin

-Greenville

Maine, Bangor

Connecticut, Wallingford

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Replies (21-26):
psych_mom
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Do you live in GA also?

Quoting Sagely:

Oh shoot, I forgot to answer your questions for Alpharetta.

House costs...there's a wide range and of course it depends on your tastes.  I would advise getting an apartment for the first year to get your own feel for the area and then investing in a house that's in the sort of neighborhood that suits you.  In general, the breakdown is this:

working class probably cannot afford the area

middle class are in houses costing $200-$300K 

upper middle class are in houses costing $400-$600K

millionaires are in houses costing $700K - $1M

multi-millionaires and higher are in full on estates, of which there are plenty to pick from.

The weather...

June - September: hot and humid.  afternoon thunderstorms.  temps generally around the 90s.  Hottest in late July/August.

October - November: feels like fall.  high to mid-70s.

December - February: cold and typically wet.  may see some flurries or even up to an inch of snow accumulation.  temps of 30s - 40s.  Coldest in February.

March - May: spring.  very high levels of tree pollens.  lots of allergy issues.  weather is similar to October/November

Type of area: very nice.  Mostly white upper middle class and young professionals with money to burn.  A little pretentious and showy but nothing compared to, say, Beverly Hills.

Schooling: there are some excellent public schools (no lack of funding) in the area if you'd consider them.  Georgia does have a decent population of home schoolers, not sure about the specific area of Alpharetta.  Plenty of homeschooling support though.  I've heard about several mom groups who coordinate collective field trips, for example.  Georgia also allows homeschooled students to play varsity sports for the high school in which they are zoned without actually having to attend the school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Sorry I'm in West Virginia so I'm not help :-/

I hope you can make a decision soon!! Let us know! Good Luck!

AntroNet
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Wilmington is a great place if you are looking in the Carolinas.  I live near Topsail Island.  About 30 minutes away from everything.  Stay out of Jacksonville, NC....the Marine Corp town.  I love my soldiers, but the DRAMA is deep..due to boredom most times.  Wilmington is nice because of the Museums, Science Centers, Aquariums (not too far off), lots of things for children to do.  Plus the shopping areas come with lotsa charm.  On weekends in the summer, they give free concerts in Mayfaire Shopping Center.  Beautiful place near the water.  The cost of living in NC is good.  Lots of people retire here for the SLOWing down of life and for the comfort zone of the money.  But since we are from NC---all our lives, it seems high to us.  But when I talk to church members from CA, they are very haughty at the fact that they have bought their homes with cash because it was so cheap to live here.  Good luck on your journey.  Anymore questions about Wilmington NC, let me know. 

shay0810
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:37 AM
Just moved from TN. Not familiar with those specific areas, but I can tell you that homeschooling in TN isn't bad. You do have to have an "umbrella school" within the state. Just basically a school that you send in the kids grades to, and they report to the state.
friend8622
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I live in GA, however, I don't know much about Alpharetta. 

HHx5
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

My DH is from Franklin, Tn. We live a little over an hour from there now. It is a beautiful town! I don't know much about homeschool because I've never done that. My kids go to public school where we live but DH's son went to a private school in Franklin. It is close to Nashville, lots of shopping and music. Franklin is middle class/upper middle class but the cost of living is still very reasonable as it is in most of the south. Homes in Franklin go for upwards of $150,000 easy, most are really nice neighborhoods. The weather in middle Tenn is usually hot, hot summers and humid. The winters have been mild the past couple of years, we didn't even get any snow except maybe a inch a couple of times. If you are succeptible to seasonal pollen allergies, watch out, this area is bad for allergies. Everyone I know is affected by pollen.

If you have any specific questions about Franklin, I can ask my hubby. He is asleep right now but we can get back to you.

I don't know much about Murfreesboro, other than it is a college town, Middle Tenn. State University. Lots of English majors and art majors attend MTSU.

I don't know if this is possible for your DH to transfer to the Huntsville, AL area. Huntsville is home to the Redstone Arsenal and many other engineering/military/computer companies. It has hardly noticed the recession and continues to expand, has good schools, and is one of the most affordable places to live. (I know because I edited my DH's business proposal he wrote on the area and it is closer to where we live than Franklin.) Opelieka, AL is several hours south of Huntsville and I don't know much about it other than it is closer to Auburn University, which is a really good school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN