Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need ideas for fundraising.

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

Long story short - a friend of Dh & I was diagnosed with MS 3yrs ago. He lost his job, now has to live with family, etc. He's been applying for SSDI but keeps getting denied and while he does has a lawyer working on his behalf - I personally know what a PITA it is and how expensive it is.

Anyhow, he wants one of these:

StaCool Vest Body Core Cooling System

He's had it posted on his FB for a few days now - asking his friends to donate $2 so that he can get one. They are "stay cool" vests. They help keep the core body temperature low. All he wants is to be able to take his niece & nephew to the park or just going for a walk during the day.

But I'm sure some of you are familiar with MS and know that the heat worsen the condition so he can't leave the house during the day and sometimes not even at nights because it's just to hot.

This guy has one of the biggest hearts that I've ever met and I want to try to get him one of those vests. I've already offered him new shoes because his current ones were making it hard for him to walk 100ft before being in pain but his dad beat me to it lol

So here's where I need help:

How can I fund raise or What can I do to raise the money?

The vest is about $200.00 so if I can get $5/person then I only need 40 people to donate.

Any ideas????

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Gosh, that's a hard one.  From what I've seen on other boards, people are hesitant to donate money to personal things like this; Sometimes they are downright resentful.  I think you'd be able to meet your goal with less resistance by finding 4 close friends of his that are willing to chip in $50 and then you could all buy him the vest as a gift.

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Can you get local businesses to make donations and do some raffles?? 

what about contacting some of his family and friends and ask for donations??  GOOD LUCK!

3cutiebugs
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Maybe get people to donate to a yard sale and use the money you make to get it ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Stacy on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I think Barbie and Sarah F both have good ideas.

ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Get a hold of a local car club and see if they will hold a benefit car show for him. We are members of a club that just did that for someone a few months ago. We charged 10 dollars for registration and all the proceeds went to the person we raised money for. With the registration fees and the donations we made almost 2 grand for a 6 hour car show. And a lot of these guys love just about any reason to show off their cars! 

sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Bake sale, yard sale, if you know how to make things, you can sell that

one_on_the_way
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Some local restaurants will do fundraising events...where, say, 10% of their sales for a night is donated to your cause.  Maybe talk to a restaurant and tell them you will advertise for people to eat there on a specific night (usually one where they aren't very busy).....and, in exchange for the increased business, they give 10% of sales to you.  Your job then is to get to word out to EVERYONE you know (and they pass it on as well) to go eat at the restaurant that night.  The more sales the restaurant has, the more money you will make....and the people going to the restaurant simply get the dinner they paid for (and 10% of their bill goes to you). 

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

all the ladies have had some great answers.  Hope he gets it!! good luck!

harry209
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Car wash, 5k walk/run, like other ladies said make something our get others to donate items like DVD player, gift cards, etc and do a raffle, have a dinner sale, party and have a cover charge, we did a kick ball game everyone paid to participate and $$ goes to our 20 yr class reunion fees.... whatever you do let everyone know proceeds go to this person and send thank you cards to everyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)