Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

How do you keep your clothes always looking new?

Posted by   + Show Post

CafeMom gave moms Shout Color Catcher and asked them to share their experience doing their family's laundry. Shout Color Catcher absorbs the colors in the wash machine, allowing you to mix dark and white clothes together. 

Check out what our moms have to say about their experience. Then, tell us your trick for keeping clothes looking as new as when you bought them.

( ) CafeMom Team

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
jess80
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Look what came in the mail!!! Yay! Ty cafemom and shout for letting me be a part of this! I'll update with pics and stories after I use them!!! Ty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I got my shout color catches on Friday and my instructions on Monday. 

I am not impressed. 

I have a Front Load HE washing machine, and it says that I should place a color catcher in a garmet bag. I got rid of all of my garmet bags when I no longer had to worry about the babies socks being eaten.
To be honest, I read that after I started  load of laundry. I didn't think anything of it as I used to use the Purex detergent/softener/dryer sheets.

Load #1: my delicates: shorts, tops, panties and bras... no change to the color catcher

Load #2: whites, with bleach, and some of the whites had red trim... again NO change to the color catcher

Load #3: regular load of colors, that included two pairs of my DH's work pangs brand NEW dark blue..... that one is a little bluish. Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered if the color catcher wasn't in the load. 

I can't see myself not seperating colors and whites. Mainly because with how hard my boys play I need to bleach the socks. 

The best test in my house would be this winter when I start wearing my Christopher and Banks Snowman sweaters that are red with white snowmen. As no matter what I seem to do the snowmen end up a bit pink.

I could see myself sending these to the dorm with my son. Or sharing them with our Fire Dept's bunk-in program. Which is 4 young men that are going to college for fire service, and dorm at our fire house. So 4 young men that dump everything into the washer at once. 

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

bec94
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I received my Shout color catchers yesterday, just in time for laundry day! First I did jeans. As you can see that sheet is pretty dirty, considering dh was working in the yard. Then I mixed darks and tans/lights ( which I never do). That one also shows dirt/color. I was wondering if it's the dye from the detergent, but I'll find out when I do my whites, which is the next load. I had also done reds/pinks/purples and that picked up a lot of dye. So I just have to finish the whites, towels and sheets ( which these may not be done till tomorrow) then I'll update how I feel about this product. So far I'm amazed at what it's pulling out of the wash.

Edit: ok I did my whites. The sheet came out slightly blue. I'm thinking that's from the detergent and fabric softener. Dh and I talked about it and we are going to experiment. I'm going to take somthing red and wash it with something white that we don't care if it turns pink to see if it works. Will this product stop me from separating my clothes no, I'm too well trained in my laundry routine. I will use it when I have new clothes that have light/dark/red combinations though.
BeachMommy07
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I got my Shout Colour Catcher's in the mail this morning and I did a load of wash and I'm very impressed with the product.

*saving space for picture*

JenieceMojica
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

well i got mine this morning and I tried them. I am really pleased. I hate 3 kids and sometimes i dont have enough of their cloths for 2 loads and its worked really well on the babies cloths. it did change color! very happy. will be buying this product in the future!

Iluvmy2kiddies
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I received mine today!! As soon as I do my laundry, which will be soon I will post with the results!! 

birdiemom
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

This was from my 1st load with the color catcher. I threw a bunch of dark clothes in the washer (mostly DH's) there was a pretty noticeable difference on the sheets even though these clothes had been washed many many times before. I usually wash everything (except diapers) on cold so I don't expect much bleeding. There was also two yellow spots on the sheet-possibly from a tye-dyed shirt I washed as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdiemom
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

My 2nd load was DS's diapers. I was them on hot/cold. Surprisingly, there was no color change on the color catcher.
My 3rd load is pictured above. Just a generic load, mostly lights with one dark shirt.
I don't have a lot of new clothing and maybe there isn't much to bleed. I would be excited to try a brightly colored new shirt with an old white tee shirt to see if the color catcher gets that.
I will have to try that sometime and take pictures to post. Maybe when we take DD back to school shopping.
I always wash clothes on cold, so I never had much problem with bleeding, but it would make washing easier if I didn't have to worry about sorting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisha77
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I got my sheets yesterday! I'm excited! My son has white uniform shirts, khaki pants and black pants for chapel. I hope these work! I'll keep you all posted!!!! :o)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Hi!  My name is Kathleen and I am a SAHM to three boys ages 6, 5 and 1 and the wife to a wonderful DH for the past 8.5 years.  We are a very active family and love to get dirty so the laundry really piles up in our house!  For this reason I was so excited when I was chosen for this influencer so thank you Shout and CafeMom!

Like I said, I have a lot of laundry to do so I do my best to do at least one load a day if not more.  Having to sort out clothes and make sure I have enough for certain loads definitely takes time so the idea of the Shout Color Catchers was very intriguing to me.  I know first hand what happens when you don't separate clothes since my first year in college I turned all my socks and underwear purple when I put a purple shirt in the same load thinking it would be fine!  Since then I have always separated clothes.

When the UPS truck came today the kids were so excited as they always are.  They asked what I got and I told them about this influencer.  They wanted to help.  They always help me some with laundry so I wasn't surprised.  We gathered up dirty laundry and I got to sorting to make a load that would really put the Shout Color Catcher to the test.  I received two boxes of it and each box has 24 sheets in it.  They say to use one sheet on a normal load and two to three sheets on a load with new clothes, really dark colors or items that run. 

I have a long scarf thing that I have had for a few years.  I never wear it(I really should just give it away) but it is dark red and I don't think I have ever washed it.  I thought of it and thought if I was really going to test these that would be the perfect item to include in the load because I knew it would run a lot of red and I wanted to really see if these would work.  I also included a pair of my DH's work coveralls that are bright blue that he usually washes at work, the cover to the baby's high chair which was fairly dirty with food, a food covered pair of the baby's pj's, a really dirty dish towel covered in apple sauce, a bright white teddy bear of the kid's needed washed, a bunch of white sox and underwear and such, and a pair of my light khaki capris.  I knew I was really taking a chance of ending up loosing some clothes and having a pink teddy bear but I waned to put these to the test!

I stuck two sheets in the washing machine like it said before starting it.  Then I added the soap and Borax that I normally use and loaded in the items and held my breath!  The load did all the washing and when I opened it was so happy!  None of my white items were ruined!  They were all perfectly fine and the Shout Color Catchers were covered in red dye.  I don't know if I will be using these with every load from now on because so many of our clothes are so faded they don't run anymore, but I will definitely be using theses when we get new clothes or when I have something I know may be an issue to wash.  Thanks again Shout, you sure impressed me. 

Here are some photes for you to see.

Those are the Shout Color Catches in the washing machine when I was getting ready to do the load.

I used the kitchen table to show some of the items I was putting in the load before I put them in the wash.

This is after the load is done.  The bear is perfectly white as is the sock.  I laid a clean Shout Color Catcher there too so you can see the difference between the two that had been in the load and the one that was new.  The camera doesn't really show good how dark they are.  They are very pink. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN