Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

LICE in my life AAAAAAAAAAAAH! need help 2012

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 13 Replies
Recently my daughter got lices than it was passed on to me. I have also fleas in my house even though I don't have a dog. 2 friends of my daughter would come over & sleep over. Ever since my house was being infested. Am I so stressed & over whelmed that this critters are running me out of my house. Since August 3rd I been battling this critters. My house is upside down. I need advice & help since some blogs of the google or youtube ain't helping. There are many myths & stories of 2010 & under. No, updates.is it true the infestations last 30 days? Some say 2 weeks, some 4 days. Aaaaah! Am going crazy how to get rid off them once in for all. Am ready to throw in the towel and burn my mattress along with the rest of the stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

There are some natural ways- but first you need to get your bedding, all stuffed animals and things like that taken care of. Wash everything that you can with hot water and dry it on the highest setting as possible to kill it all. If your dd has stuffed animals, stick them in the dryer for 20 mins on high heat and then take them out and seal them in plastic bags for 2 weeks, the same with throw pillows and things like that. You need to vacuum your house every day- this will get rid of lice and fleas. We had a horrible flea problem and when we closed our windows the fleas went away. Also, are you treating your hair and her hair with anything? If you aren't there are some things that you can use other than lice shampoo- you can use mayo at room temp (buy a fresh jar- coat your head, let it set for at least 20 mins, then rinse it out and then put white vinegar on your hair and let it set for at least 1 hour, then rinse it out. After this you need to use a lice comb to remove nits.

Unfortunately my kids got it when we had a family member come stay with us last year and it was a pain in the butt to get rid of, but we got it all within a week.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Not had that happen before. Maybe but some bug bombs to get the fleas or hire an exterminator...good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hspear
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

In my experience of having multiple pets when I still lived with my parents, bug bombs work wonders for fleas. And since you don't have a dog, you won't have to go through the torture of delivering an animal a flea bath :-P

As for lice, if you or your daughter has them, work mayonnaise through the hair and scalp thoroughly and sleep with a shower cap on over it overnight. I had lice for 6 months straight when I was a kid and none of the prescriptions worked, but when my mom heard of this we tried it and they never came back. It drowns the lice and the acidity of the mayo dissolves the adhesive the eggs use to stick to your hair. Do the mayo routine, use a lice and nit comb to comb them all out in the morning after washing the mayo out, then bug bomb the house.

Good luck!!!

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

If you have long hair, wear it in a ponytail as much as possible and use hair spray...Stacy gave you great advice..one of the main things to do is comb, comb, and comb some more...heat is your best friend as far as ridding them...It happens, they come into anyone's home and it is a chore to rid them...Make sure you boil any and all of your hair stuff, clips, ponytail holders, brushes,etc...so sorry for you.

mygirls53
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM
I swear by using mayo and than vinegar to comb out the nits. I just went thru this a couple months ago.
Angela4boys
by Angela on Aug. 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My aunts step daughter came for a summer visit, totally lice infested, like so bad that she could see them in her hair and her hair looked matted.  My aunt took her to a place called Hair Fairies I think it was, they have their own products, and they treated her hair and de-nitted her hair...and that was it, one treatment and she was done and over with.  I've heard that lice need a host to live on within 48 hours or they die...maybe treat yourselves and get the heck out of the house for the weekend (hotel or whatever) and that will take care of it?

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
My son got it at preschool. It was such a pain to deal with and it's important that you are aggressive in treating. Plan to dedicate a full day because if you don't do everything at once you risk having populations still thriving in one area of your home that reinvests others.

Tumble all pillows from your beds and the couch (if they fit) and stuffed animals in your dryer for 20 minutes minimum.

Thoroughly vacuum the top of you mattresses and your couch (don't forget the seat backs).

Wash all your tos and blouses in the hottest water possible. Use bleach of possible.

The best thing you. An do is hire a service that comes your hair for you. We hired a mobile service that came discreetly to our house. It took her just a few minutes to do my son's hair. I bought her special comb because it wa south more effective than the one I bought at the drug store. Then I did a follow up treatment on him every other day for a week, then every few days, then once a week. The follow up treatments are important because that is when you get all the new hatchlings. The hair services are expensive but worth every penny. Having gone through trying to eradicate it on my own and then hiring a service, I would never, ever attempt to do it on my home. It's too much work without the results and too many tears when you try to do it on your own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The combing really is a pain in the butt. Thankfully we could buzz both boys hair, but with my dd we had to comb her hair about 5-7 times. It is natural curly, thick and goes to the middle of her back. It took me over 2 hours each time. I got special combs that had no space between the teeth that cost around $20 for 2 that work wonders. The vinegar helps with removing nits though because it eats the glue that holds them onto the hair strand and there are not as many when you comb. They actually fall off in the wash.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

My son got it at preschool. It was such a pain to deal with and it's important that you are aggressive in treating. Plan to dedicate a full day because if you don't do everything at once you risk having populations still thriving in one area of your home that reinvests others.

Tumble all pillows from your beds and the couch (if they fit) and stuffed animals in your dryer for 20 minutes minimum.

Thoroughly vacuum the top of you mattresses and your couch (don't forget the seat backs).

Wash all your tos and blouses in the hottest water possible. Use bleach of possible.

The best thing you. An do is hire a service that comes your hair for you. We hired a mobile service that came discreetly to our house. It took her just a few minutes to do my son's hair. I bought her special comb because it wa south more effective than the one I bought at the drug store. Then I did a follow up treatment on him every other day for a week, then every few days, then once a week. The follow up treatments are important because that is when you get all the new hatchlings. The hair services are expensive but worth every penny. Having gone through trying to eradicate it on my own and then hiring a service, I would never, ever attempt to do it on my home. It's too much work without the results and too many tears when you try to do it on your own.

msguzman
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Hello, thank you for your advice. Yes, I treated my daughter in August 3, 2012 & me on August 4th, 2012. With Nix treatment it kills lice & lice eggs according to the Hospital they said it is an excellent product. I did buy the family pack but since my daughters hair & mine are long & curly. I had to buy 2 family packs. It comes with a plastic comb & the comb is a No No... I also, used plastic grocery bags over our heads. I couldn't find the hair plastic bags. I bought the wire combs, One for each of us. It worked best. I did got rid of the life lice but the eggs wore still there. I used my nail fingers to take them off for my daughters hair. I haven't used a regular brush to brush my hair, just the special wire hair comb.
I did washed all the comforters, blankets, etc.. as for the toys I bagged the stuffed animals and put them in Quarantine, as well as my room. Havent been in my room since August 5th, 2012. I purchased the RID SPRAY to spray on non washable fabrics. Than, I am Vacumming every day.
I change sheets and pillow cases everyday, I make sure to use light colors so that I can wash them in the washer in high hot water & bleach. Our Pjs too. Don't use dark color clothing. As, a conclusion it has been 2 days of August 16 & 17 I haven't seen any on my daughters hair or mine even though I am treating myself still. I still have itching once in a while but they tell me its all in your head. Phycalogically speaking is just in my head they said. Maybe is true.
It is said suppostly that the eggs even if they fall down they still live & it can still hatch. 2 days (48 HRS) that the lice live, the eggs it takes 7 to 10 days to hatch. It also depending how much of those critters wore in the head. 2 weeks for plushy toys in a bag but some say 30 days (4 weeks). According & comparing the stories & the research I have been doing.
It is true about bagging the stuffed animals in a bag. I did it, I put them in a clear plastic bag for 2 weeks. I looked to see if it was safe to open them. Guess what..... there wore lice & fleas in there crawling around finding a way to get out. OOOOOMG..... I said... they said 2 weeks. Yeah! Right. So I decided to leave them for 4 weeks even longer if I must. Until I see no more of those critters. Oh yeah! One thing the doc told me.. " When brushing your hair with the special comb the hair flush it down the toilet & wipe clean the floor not with a mop but with a paper towel. Use the restroom is works best. Thank god for the Droids cells if it wasn't for them my daughter would of gone inpatient. I have Netflix on my cell & she wathed her cartoons & listened to songs on YouTube. She like the Lybarenth songs & movie. As for me. Well just the music. It takes me 2 hours to do my daughters hair & 2 hrs for me.
I thank you all for your advice, I will keep you posted on my progress. I will try the Mayonnaise & Viniger for the nits(eggs).
Q? With the viniger how much to use in a long curly hair? Can it be mixed with something else? Because viniger does smell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msguzman
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM
P.S its 5:56 a.m pacific time zone. Gnight my friends got to sleep. I live in Santa Barbara, Ca the 5 cities. On the top says 8:52 a.m. not on that time zone. Hope, to see more post. Thank you all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)