Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Tips for carving pumpkins

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

We're sharing a few pumpkin carving tips with you today!

1. Large pumpkins are easier to carve so pick a good sized one.

2. You want your pumpkin to last a while so don't go for pumpkins that have moldy stems or bruises.

3. In order to make the 'lid' fit cut around the top at an angle. If you cut straight down the top will fall through.

4. If you are a beginning pumpkin carver you'll want to start with a simple pattern.

5. Consider cutting a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin if you plan on putting a candle inside. This will make the pumpkin more stable.

6. Never eat a pumpkin once it's been carved.

What tips do you have for pumpkin carving? We'd love for you to share some with us!

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aleta775
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest using the pumpkins as decoration and then carve them closer to Halloween. Uncarved pumpkins can last a long time. They can get wet in the rain, and snowed on without any problems. The moment you carve them and they get rained on once, they will start to rot really fast. So in order to preserve them, wait a little while to carve them and they will hold up a lot better. Other wise you will end up with something that looks like this:

Our poor Halloween pumpkins that got covered in snow.

One pumpkin gave up and committed pumpkincide, while his pals looked on in horror.

telecomgirl
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Quoting Aleta775:

I suggest using the pumpkins as decoration and then carve them closer to Halloween. Uncarved pumpkins can last a long time. They can get wet in the rain, and snowed on without any problems. The moment you carve them and they get rained on once, they will start to rot really fast. So in order to preserve them, wait a little while to carve them and they will hold up a lot better. Other wise you will end up with something that looks like this:

Our poor Halloween pumpkins that got covered in snow.

One pumpkin gave up and committed pumpkincide, while his pals looked on in horror.

LOL!

telecomgirl
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I use a rubber cleaning glove now for cleaning out the pumpkin. I've always hated how cold and slimy it felt. The glove was awesome....it gripped onto the spoon better, and my hand stayed warm & dry! ;)

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Spray it with a bleach/water mixture to help keep it from ruining. You could also put those little pellets that are in the "do not eat" packets that come from purses,etc. To use do the same thing. We put glow sticks in ours instead of candles. The kids love being able to change out the colors.
signingmama2915
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard of people using metal cookie cutters. I thought it was a cool idea.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Where I live, carved pumpkins will look siginificantly wilted within 24 hours but the wilting / molding process can be slowed down by refrigerating your carved pumpkin.

SassyWildflower
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

good tips! thanks for sharing.

Find me on Pinterest & check out my blog =)

Follow Me on Pinterest 

MichelleK41
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

How neat, TFS. =)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Great tips :)

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

Spray it with a bleach/water mixture to help keep it from ruining. You could also put those little pellets that are in the "do not eat" packets that come from purses,etc. To use do the same thing. We put glow sticks in ours instead of candles. The kids love being able to change out the colors.

I have a cute metal skeleton for our front yard.  It has a small holder in the back for a voltive but tonight I popped a glow stick around the volitve holder and it looked just as good... maybe even better because it has an eery blue glow to it.  Thanks for the (indirect) suggestion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)