Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Brave 10-Year-Old Girl Home Alone Stops 3 Burglars in Their Tracks

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

Brave 10-Year-Old Girl Home Alone Stops 3 Burglars in Their Tracks

Posted by Jeanne Sager on October 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Paityn MockYou're home alone. You hear a noise that tells you someone is in your house. What do you do? If you're the 10-year-old girl who was home sick from school, you keep it calm, cool, and collected, you foil the robbery attempt, and you become a viral hero. Such is the life of Paityn Mock these days.

I'm hoping parents across the country take notice. If you're wondering when a kid is "old enough" to be left home alone, Paityn's story might help you make up your mind.

Now hold up, I'm not saying every 10-year-old should be left home alone.

I am saying that this 10-year-old did exactly what needed to be done when there was an emergency. She hid in the pantry with the phone and called 911. She followed the dispatcher's directions to a T, and the cops got there in time to nab one of the three burglars (two got away ... but the cops have their accomplice, so you can guess what will happen next!).

People are already questioning why her mom -- who was at the grocery store by the way -- left Paityn home alone, but I think it's pretty obvious. She knew her kid was ready. And Paityn's level head in the face of something so scary proves mom was right.

More parents need to judge their kids the way Paityn's mom did: not on age but on readiness for responsibilities. The more time I spend with various kids around my daughter's age, the more I'm convinced that age is just a number. Maturity, intelligence, common sense ... they all vary from kid to kid. If you're going by "age" to determine whether your kid is ready for something as big as being left home alone, you could be putting an immature older kid at a big risk or underestimating your immature younger kid.

Check this little hero out.

What do you think of this girl's heroics? Would your kid be able to handle this situation the way she did?

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Wow, that must have been scary for her.

I think kids surprise you in situations like this. 

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I saw this story on the news.. She was SO brave..

MichelleK41
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I saw this on the news. She was so brave!

othermom
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I think it is great that she was able to react calmly in the situation

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Scary for her but so happy she did well like that,
I don't think mine would havbe been ready at that age but .. you never know until something happens :)

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM

What a brave kid!!  I'm glad this story had a happy ending.   :)

telecomgirl
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Wow, she's brave, and reacted better than most adults probably would have!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)