Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

work-at-home moms: schedules?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM
  • 12 Replies

I work-at-home part-time while also taking care of my 2 year old DD. I've been reading a lot about getting organized and everything I've read says I need to make a schedule for myself! I'm curious to get an idea of what some of your schedules look like as well! How do you balance work/kids/cleaning/kids/cooking/kids/hubby/kids/YOURSELF lol!

I'm an assistant to a real estate agent. I'll also be starting my real estate classes in about a week. After that I'll be getting my own real estate license and be her partner - she'll be handling the commercial real estate and I'll handle residential real estate. I can check my emails on my phone, but I'd like to have some time every few hours throughout the day where I can take 30 minutes to check my email on the computer, do a quick update or pull a listing real quick if needed, then set a couple days a week where I sit for hours doing my detailed office work in addition to an hour most evenings after DD is in bed before I spend some Q.T. with hubby.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It takes some time to find your groove. Good luck with the real estate classes!!

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My schedule, though flexible, is largely dictated by meetings. From early on, if I had to be sitting at my desk, my kids would be there with me. Mommy had 'big work' & 'little work'. Big work meant I was in a meeting and they had to be very quiet. Little work meant they could talk & interrupt. Worked like a charm.

I have a table in there with crafts/coloring, the family room w/toys, games, books is right outside my door so they were fine while I worked.

Now they're all in school so it's soooo quiet! During the summer my 13 year old babysits his brothers while I work.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I work while my son is in school 8am - 4pm, and then I log back in at 8pm when he goes to bed.

XOXOArmyWife
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I just do it late at night bc I'm a night owl and I get a lot done when everyone's asleep since I don't have to use the phones
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I take the hour between Ds getting on the bus and Dd waking up to catch up on emails, answer fb questions.

Then -when- DD took a nap, I'd use that time to make phone calls.

After everyone was in bed, I finished up anything that needed to be done - closing out shows, etc.

Now that DD doesn't nap - she goes to my room for quiet time and I'll put on a movie for her while I make phone calls in the kitchen.

I'm online throughout the day so if I have a free 10 mins I'll do one of the training classes or I'll just try updating my pages, etc. Anything that I can do quickly and easily.

heavensdaughter
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to stick to a schedule where I can spend plenty of time with my kids, sew for at least 2 hours, and keep my house clean.  It can be difficult not getting distracted though!

rocamom
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't work from home but I just made a family schedule.  I would start by writing down the stuff you NEED to do everyday ie: meals, naps, activities.. Then from there you can fill in stuff like your work schedule and cleaning.. Also some activities.. I found that after I put my kids on the bus I have about 2 hours before I would need to go in and sub (if I get called into the school)..  I was just sitting and waisting that time.. 

GOOD LUCK!!

MommyBL
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Thank you! :)

Quoting inmybizz:

It takes some time to find your groove. Good luck with the real estate classes!!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

MommyBL
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I am somewhat of a night owl, too, and get a lot of my internet work done after everyone's in bed...I manage a couple websites in addition to doing e-newsletters & stuff too so I get a lot of that done at night when I feel like I've taken care of most everything else & can actually focus on my work!

Quoting XOXOArmyWife:

I just do it late at night bc I'm a night owl and I get a lot done when everyone's asleep since I don't have to use the phones

MommyBL
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM

My DD doesn't nap anymore either which has made thing a little harder in general to get things done around the house! I've tried to do "quiet time" with her too like get her to play in her room for some time but she's recently learned to open her door! So I think we'll need to fix that and then just be more strict about making her stay & play in her room for an hour or so, so I can get some work done!

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

I take the hour between Ds getting on the bus and Dd waking up to catch up on emails, answer fb questions.

Then -when- DD took a nap, I'd use that time to make phone calls.

After everyone was in bed, I finished up anything that needed to be done - closing out shows, etc.

Now that DD doesn't nap - she goes to my room for quiet time and I'll put on a movie for her while I make phone calls in the kitchen.

I'm online throughout the day so if I have a free 10 mins I'll do one of the training classes or I'll just try updating my pages, etc. Anything that I can do quickly and easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)