Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Food!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
Will you moms please share your best recipe?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Oh boy!!! are we talking quick and easy or something that might be a little time consuming?

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I use large shrimp instead of prawn

prawn & coconut curry with cumin rice 

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
  • onion , thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
  • garlic cloves , crushed
  • 1 red chilli , deseeded and sliced
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 1 large potato , diced
  • 400ml can half-fat coconut milk
  • cherry tomatoes , halved
  • handful baby spinach
  • 200g pack raw peeled prawns

• 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 175g basmati rice

1. Heat the oil and fry the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the spices, curry leaves and potato, then cook for 1 min more. Stir in the coconut milk and tomatoes, cover and leave to simmer for 10 mins until the potato is tender.
  2. Add the spinach and prawns. Cook for 1 min more until the spinach wilts and the prawns turn pink.
  3. Meanwhile, make the rice. Tip the cumin into a pan and toast over a dry heat for 30 secs. Add the rice, salt to taste and 400ml water, then cover and cook for 8-10 mins until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Serve with the curry.
Mommyof2114
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Thank you for sharing! That sounds so good.

Quoting inmybizz:

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
  • onion , thinly sliced
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 1 large potato , diced
  • handful baby spinach

• 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 175g basmati rice

1. Heat the oil and fry the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the spices, curry leaves and potato, then cook for 1 min more. Stir in the coconut milk and tomatoes, cover and leave to simmer for 10 mins until the potato is tender.
  2. Add the spinach and prawns. Cook for 1 min more until the spinach wilts and the prawns turn pink.
  3. Meanwhile, make the rice. Tip the cumin into a pan and toast over a dry heat for 30 secs. Add the rice, salt to taste and 400ml water, then cover and cook for 8-10 mins until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Serve with the curry.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I have a few .. what are you looking for ?

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Yeah, what are you looking for. I have different favorites for entrees, sides, desserts, etc.

smokeyjo
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:41 AM

this is an easy recipe, my kids call it Chicken 'n Rice-

one box of Rice-A-Roni rice pilaf

one can cream of chicken and herbs and milk

one package of chicken breast filets, cut to bite sized pieces

start by making the rice per the package directions; while the rice cooks, in a separate pan heat some evoo and a bit of butter, add the chicken and cook until done. in a bowl whisk the can of soup and enough milk to make creamy- anywhere from half a cup to one cup or more. once the rice and chicken are cooked, combine both in the rice pan, add the chicken soup, mix well and warm through.

smokeyjo
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

here's a quick dessert we do-

peel and dice two apples. in a small pan melt a little butter, a bit of brown sugar, a sprinkle of white sugar, a dash of cinnamon, a pinch or two of nutmeg, one pinch of clove. add the apples and a handful of raisins, cook until soft which will only take a few minutes. you can either eat as is or put a spoonful or two over a small dish of vanilla ice cream.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:57 AM

It is good!! My husband loves Indian food so I've been trying my hand at different recipes.. Are you looking for something specific? 

Quoting Mommyof2114:

Thank you for sharing! That sounds so good.

Quoting inmybizz:

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
  • onion , thinly sliced
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 1 large potato , diced
  • handful baby spinach

• 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 175g basmati rice

Sarafinn2012
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM

A quick, cheap, easy meal my family all loves that I grew up eating:

Poor mans stir fry. 6 cups cooked rice, 1 lb fried ground hamburger, can of corn, can of mushrooms, soy sauce to taste. Mix together and voila! Yummy! You can add or subtract veggies as you like, whatever you think would taste good!

Sarafinn2012
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM

This sounds delicious and simple! I will have to try this one! :)

Quoting smokeyjo:

this is an easy recipe, my kids call it Chicken 'n Rice-

one box of Rice-A-Roni rice pilaf

one can cream of chicken and herbs and milk

one package of chicken breast filets, cut to bite sized pieces

start by making the rice per the package directions; while the rice cooks, in a separate pan heat some evoo and a bit of butter, add the chicken and cook until done. in a bowl whisk the can of soup and enough milk to make creamy- anywhere from half a cup to one cup or more. once the rice and chicken are cooked, combine both in the rice pan, add the chicken soup, mix well and warm through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)