Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

cigarette smell

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • 19 Replies
My sister just gave us a bed. It was the guest bedroom bed, it's a king, it's barely been slept on with a three inch pillow top. Unfortunately they smoke inside. A lot. I''ve tried febreeze. Like... five bottles of it. Nothing. A friend said try coffee grind. Now it just smells like an old man's truck. I'm thinking of getting a mattress cover if nothing works.

Has anyone had success with getting the smell of cigarette smoke out of upholsteredf frniture?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Vinegar is good at getting rid of odors, but if you can, try laying a large tarp outside and letting it get some good old sunshine. It helps with odors. I would get a mattress cover anyways- we have one for our bed and it helps keep the dust and allergens to a minimum.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I would've suggested putting it outside.

Quoting psych_mom:

Vinegar is good at getting rid of odors, but if you can, try laying a large tarp outside and letting it get some good old sunshine. It helps with odors. I would get a mattress cover anyways- we have one for our bed and it helps keep the dust and allergens to a minimum.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I agree with putting it outside, also put some charcoal in a pan under the bed, it absorbs odors. I am wondering if you contacted those people that clean up after a fire in your house, you know they would have to have something to rid the smoke smell after a fire. I also would go the extra expense of buying 2 really thick mattress pads and I would put one on both the box springs and the mattress..if all else fails..buy a new one.

telecomgirl
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I would also recommend putting it outside if possible.

I hope you can get the stink out of it and use it soon!

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Baking Soda!

LuvsHopesDreams
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Once the smell of stale smoke is in fabric padding it's almost impossiblet o get it out.  That's one reason hubby and I don't smoke in the house.  My son is the #1 reason, though!

LuvsHopesDreams
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The "after-house-fire" idea would work, but it would probably cost her more than the mattress is worth.

Quoting QuiltLover:

I agree with putting it outside, also put some charcoal in a pan under the bed, it absorbs odors. I am wondering if you contacted those people that clean up after a fire in your house, you know they would have to have something to rid the smoke smell after a fire. I also would go the extra expense of buying 2 really thick mattress pads and I would put one on both the box springs and the mattress..if all else fails..buy a new one.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Outside if possible,

second step would be vinegar sprayed all over

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I was going to suggest this as well.  Let it sit outside and "breathe" for a few days.

Quoting psych_mom:

lillucky8
by Jen on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Id spray it with vinegar/water and then when dry sprinkle baking soda on it, let it sit then vaccuum it. Also an appolstry cleaner might help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN