Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Make up help.......

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok ladies I am 30 yrs old and never wore makeup. Well I try but  I think it looks awful.

What are some tips? 

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Most makeup retailers at the mall - Macy's, Nordstroms, Sephora, bare minerals, etc - offer free makeup sessions. That would be a great way to start. I used to work for Clinique at Macy's when I was in college and we had a lot of women that never wore makup book appointments with us.  The key to makeup is to not change your looks but to improve how you already look. Start light and you can apply more. Mascara is a great place to start. Then add eyeliner once you become comfortable with mascara. If your skin tone is uneven you can try a translucent powder before you move into a liquid foundation.  I've recently tried Loreal's BB foundation and love it!  It comes out of the tube white and seems to match my hispanic skin perfectly.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Bare Minerals s what I started with.

I typically only wear powder foundation, mascara, and a tinted lip balm.

It just takes a lot of playing with. Just take some time in the evening to play around with it. You'll have lots of mess up and sometims will end up looking like a clown or like a raccoon but it does come off and you can keep trying till you find what looks best for you. :)

4music
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

What are your reasons for wanting to wear makeup now? Do you want to be "made up/glitzed up? Or do you just want to accentuate a bit?

Try just a touch of brown eyeliner and maybe some lip gloss.

Personally, i don't care for the feeling of foundations/powders on my skin or with anything on my mouth. I stick with eyeliner and shadow.

psych_mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM

There are great tutorials on YouTube and I find Ulta and Sephora to be great places because they have a huge selection of brands. You are going to want to start light and go from there. You will probably want a natural look and not something over the top or drastic. These are very easy to achieve with a few easy products.

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Go to the mall and ask one of the counters for help.. I had a mary kay lady come to my house to help me too.. GOOD LUCK

telecomgirl
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Definitely go to a makeup counter at one of the stores in the mall, or Sephora or a place that sells just makeup and book an appointment/free makeup session. Some of them require you purchase 1-2 items for the makeover, some don't. Either way you're getting a lesson in application and possibly even some makeup!

They will show you step by step how to apply it, what colors look good with your complexion/eye/hair color, and give you great tips.

Good luck, and definitely check back if you can and let us know how it goes!

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I agree with the others. I would go to the mall and head on over to the makeup section. They will help you out :)

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I agree with other -try the makeup counter(beware something they can lay it on a bit thick). Youtube tutorials are very helpful.  

SassyWildflower
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

For just starting out, I would find a good foundation or concealer that matches your skin well (if you're wanting to cover up flaws).

I use a translucent powder over my foundation. (i have a terrible complexion) and then I apply light blush on the tops of my cheek bones.

I finish off with some black eyeliner (my fave is from Rimmel) as well as mascara. There are tons out there...

I love make up and playing around with different looks but mostly, I don't go very much beyond a natural look =)

bren_darlene
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I only wear mascara. Occasionally a tiny bit of eye shadow but hardly ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)