Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Christmas tree question

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM
  • 14 Replies
We have a real tree. When we got it last weekend it was soft. Now it's dry. We have plenty of water in the base and its not near our fireplace. Is anyone else's tree like this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Sounds like it was cut/shipped too early. Do you have a humidifier you can put in that room? That will help.
mandee1503
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Is it near a vent? The hot air will dry it out as well.
iknowhair78
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Be careful not to become a statistic.  It seems like you read about fires ruining Christmas every year.  Since you are still weeks out, maybe a new "green" tree may be your best bet.  Otherwise make sure you're home when you have the lights on.

rocamom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Good Luck..

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you make a fresh cut across the bottom immediately before you put it in the water? If not, the tree can pull up water efficiently and it can become drier sooner.  We always do a fresh cut and for some reason this year it didn't help much. Our tree is also really dry. We use the lights that don't heat up - I think most of them are that way now - and I unplug the tree from the wall when the lights aren't on.

Mommyof2114
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM
It's a massive tree. I just don't know

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Sounds like it was cut/shipped too early. Do you have a humidifier you can put in that room? That will help.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

fake tree here! Sorry!

Good Luck!

Mommyof2114
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Yes my husband cut across the bottom. I don't remember any of our trees being this way. Lol... I unplug the tree at night and keep it off during the day.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Did you make a fresh cut across the bottom immediately before you put it in the water? If not, the tree can pull up water efficiently and it can become drier sooner.  We always do a fresh cut and for some reason this year it didn't help much. Our tree is also really dry. We use the lights that don't heat up - I think most of them are that way now - and I unplug the tree from the wall when the lights aren't on.

Mommyof2114
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM
It's not near a vent either. Lol...

Quoting mandee1503:

Is it near a vent? The hot air will dry it out as well.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't think of anything not already suggested..Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)