Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Christmas tree question

Posted by   + Show Post
We have a real tree. When we got it last weekend it was soft. Now it's dry. We have plenty of water in the base and its not near our fireplace. Is anyone else's tree like this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Replies (11-14):
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommyof2114:

Yes my husband cut across the bottom. I don't remember any of our trees being this way. Lol... I unplug the tree at night and keep it off during the day.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Did you make a fresh cut across the bottom immediately before you put it in the water? If not, the tree can pull up water efficiently and it can become drier sooner.  We always do a fresh cut and for some reason this year it didn't help much. Our tree is also really dry. We use the lights that don't heat up - I think most of them are that way now - and I unplug the tree from the wall when the lights aren't on.

That is what I do. It's only on in the evenings and I unplug when it's not turned on.  Unplugging is probably a good habit to do every year. :)

Are you on the west coast? I'm on the west coast and last year was very dry, and we hadn't had a lot of rain before the trees were cut down this year.  I'm thinking my tree is drier than usual because there was no water in the ground for it to pull up before it was cut. 

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Ditto. Good luck!

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

fake tree here! Sorry!

Good Luck!

Mommyof2114
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Yes, we are on the west coast.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Quoting Mommyof2114:

Yes my husband cut across the bottom. I don't remember any of our trees being this way. Lol... I unplug the tree at night and keep it off during the day.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Did you make a fresh cut across the bottom immediately before you put it in the water? If not, the tree can pull up water efficiently and it can become drier sooner.  We always do a fresh cut and for some reason this year it didn't help much. Our tree is also really dry. We use the lights that don't heat up - I think most of them are that way now - and I unplug the tree from the wall when the lights aren't on.

That is what I do. It's only on in the evenings and I unplug when it's not turned on.  Unplugging is probably a good habit to do every year. :)

Are you on the west coast? I'm on the west coast and last year was very dry, and we hadn't had a lot of rain before the trees were cut down this year.  I'm thinking my tree is drier than usual because there was no water in the ground for it to pull up before it was cut. 

fullxbusymom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Most trees are having issues this year because of the mild dry winter we had last winter.  It is causing a lot of trouble with the crop of trees this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)