Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

working moms, question for you!!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so as of January 7th I'm back to work.  I haven't worked in 6 years.. I'm very excited.  My kids will both be at school while I am at work so I couldn't pass up this job opportunity.  They are also VERY flexible and will discount summer camp.  Which my son is SUPER excited about :) 

My kids will get on the bus for school at 8:45 and then I will need to be at work for 9 (not a problem as this job is RIGHT around the corner 5 min if I hit traffic).  I will work 9-2 Monday-Friday.

My questions is how do you get everything done around the house?  Do you have a schedule of things you do daily or do you just do what needs to be done??

My husband has said he doesn't want to do more around the house which is fine.  He has also said we could hire a maid if I wanted to.  I don't really want to and honestly it's not really me doing more work it's just me having less time to do the house work LOL.. I just need a good schedule. 

Any help??

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't work outside of the home, but I would think since no one will be home for the bulk of the day then the mess should stay to a minimum.  The things you'll have to catch up on are things like laundry and dusting.  Dishes can still be done in the evening and vacuuming on an "as needed" basis.

The bulk of the "freshening up" can be done during the weekend.

Like I said, I don't work outside of the home, but I have a lot of things that keep me outside of them home when I need to be here to get stuff done.  Juggling is not an easy task sometimes.

Good luck at your new job!!  :)

psych_mom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM
I remember when my mom worked 50-60 hours a week when I was a kid and she was in management. She made sure that anything that got messed up was immediately cleaned back up. My brother and I were responsible for our stuff and our rooms. As we got older, there were daily chores so my mom didn't have to do it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My kids are 8 and 6 and honestly YES they can do chores but I also want them to be kids.  I think it will stay clean since everyone will be out of the house.  Also I told my hubby he WILL be helping in the morning and we WILL discuss what I need from him in the mornings.  I think he can either make the kids breakfast OR pack their lunches (or at least start packing them).. I need to be open and tell him what I need as we get into a new schedule.  I think the biggest part will be getting into the swing of things.  Ya know..

I will ONLY be working 25 hrs a week and I think I can get the dishes done either at night OR in the morning.. Thanks!

Quoting psych_mom:

I remember when my mom worked 50-60 hours a week when I was a kid and she was in management. She made sure that anything that got messed up was immediately cleaned back up. My brother and I were responsible for our stuff and our rooms. As we got older, there were daily chores so my mom didn't have to do it all.

psych_mom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My mom only had one chore a day for us today, each day it was a different thing. She was big on us playing outside and things like that and we were both in different activities. Chores really didn't come until I was about 10 tbh. She let us be kids :). I don't blame you for letting your husband know that he is going to have to help with something. It will help make life a little smoother in the mornings for all.

Quoting rocamom:

My kids are 8 and 6 and honestly YES they can do chores but I also want them to be kids.  I think it will stay clean since everyone will be out of the house.  Also I told my hubby he WILL be helping in the morning and we WILL discuss what I need from him in the mornings.  I think he can either make the kids breakfast OR pack their lunches (or at least start packing them).. I need to be open and tell him what I need as we get into a new schedule.  I think the biggest part will be getting into the swing of things.  Ya know..

I will ONLY be working 25 hrs a week and I think I can get the dishes done either at night OR in the morning.. Thanks!

Quoting psych_mom:

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Since your work is part time, things will run more smoothly than you think. getting up a tad earlier than the kids will get morning things a early start. Heck, getting off at 2 will seem like a day shopping whist the kids were in school. ..Packing lunches the night before will help alot and even incorporate the kids in that job, they would probably love it. In my honest opinion, hiring a maid would just eat up the money you are making...
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I get up Saturday mornings and clean the entire house and I keep it picked up during the week. I do laundry at night because I can do that while I watch tv or chat on CM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Mandy085
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I work 10-15 hours a week and my husband works a full 40 hours second shift for both of us. Since I am home during the day when the kids are in school and so is he, we usually try to tag team the chores even tho I do the majority and get it done while kids arent home.. For the most part i have a somewhat routine for cleaning. what I do at night, what I do in the mornings etc. You will get into a routine I'm sure of what you feel you are up for doing in the morning before school or what you think is better to get done at night. :) congrats at the new job!

rocamom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Sometimes my son is up at 6am so getting up earlier isn't going to happen. I just need to get things done and stop being lazy bones lol.

Quoting QuiltLover:

Since your work is part time, things will run more smoothly than you think. getting up a tad earlier than the kids will get morning things a early start. Heck, getting off at 2 will seem like a day shopping whist the kids were in school. ..Packing lunches the night before will help alot and even incorporate the kids in that job, they would probably love it. In my honest opinion, hiring a maid would just eat up the money you are making...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Stacy, I often tell my kids either clean or go out to play lol. I don't mind cleaning as long as I don't have to step over people to do it.

Quoting psych_mom:

My mom only had one chore a day for us today, each day it was a different thing. She was big on us playing outside and things like that and we were both in different activities. Chores really didn't come until I was about 10 tbh. She let us be kids :). I don't blame you for letting your husband know that he is going to have to help with something. It will help make life a little smoother in the mornings for all.

Quoting rocamom:

Quoting psych_mom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

When I did work .. I would get up earlier to get things done,
A schedule will help also.
Will take you a bit of time to adjust I am sure.
Congrats on getting the job :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN