Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

OT- Need help with my dogs

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM
  • 10 Replies

I know this is kinda off topic but I have 2 chihuahuas that refuse to go to the bathroom outside. It snowed a few weeks ago and before that they did okay, they would only really poop or pee inside when they were left alone for a long time (which I understand) but even when Iet them outside they will come right back in and pee or poop. We jsut bought this house in August and it has brand new carpet and they are freaking ruining it! We have set aside a place they can potty in the laundry room with pads and that puppy training spray that is supposed to attract them to that spot but they still just go in on of the kids' rooms. I don't know what to do about it but it is making me crazy. I am sick of cleaning up poop!!! I know it is because of the cold weather and the snow but I have no control over that and they need to learn to deal with it. HELP!

frustrated

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
knagsmom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM

puppy pee pads my nrighbor trained hers to use them

fullxbusymom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Leave them outside longer and start taking them out every 20mins.  Like you would training a child and give them treats everytime they do their business outside like they should.  Until then I wouldn't allow them anywhere in the house you don't want ruined.

rocamom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Can you shovel a spot for them to poop in.. I don't have dogs but good luck.

snuggiewoogie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I am dealing with the same thing! I have a Chi-Wow-Wow that does not wanna do nothing when I put him in the backyard. I have to put the leash on him and make him go over to the park. I know exactly what your going though. I have had to shampoo my carpets alot lately cause he will keep sneaking into the back bedroom and leaving me presents! Ugh :(

psych_mom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Do you have a crate you can keep them in? You may have to start from scratch and retrain them. A great carpet cleaner is called Kids-n-Pets at Walmart. It has alcohol in it so it kills germs and gets rid of odors as well. It has gotten pretty much anything out of our carpet (three kids, two cats and one dog here).

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Sorry - other than caging I have no other suggestions. 

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Ditch the puppy pads. They are the biggest misnomer in dog potty training. Your dogs need to know that it is not ok to potty in living quarters and puppy pads do the exact opposite. So ditch those pads! Next get a crate and keep your dogs in their OWN crate at night. This is the first step in helping them learn not to potty in living spaces. It's a small step but critical. Next put them out frequently. Use the same door everytime and put them out individually so they don't distract each other. (they can wait for their turn inside their crate). At first you'll need to keep on eye on them to make sure they do their job. When they do, make a big deal just like you did with your kids when you moved them out of diapers. Finally look for subtle clues that they need to go outside. It might start with one of your dogs walking towards the door and then walking away 5 seconds later. That's fine. Run over and put them outside. Eventually they will stand their longer and longer as you both learn what the other wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions,
Good luck & let us know how it is going :)

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Personally I don't like it but have you tried caging them? I was always told they won't go potty where they have to lay. Other than that walk around the yard with them and do not let them back in the house. When they do go give them tons of praise. They react positively when you do. I have 5 labs that all live in my house and I had them all potty trained  by the time they were 7wks. old. Thank God....can you imagine THAT much mess in here? LOL Godd luck and be persistant

merryvoice
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM
This is exactly what I was going to say. We have a dog who HATES the snow, but we did this for her and it works fairly well. I say fairly because she's 16 and doesn't have the control she used to have, but the "oopsies" are a lot less.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Leave them outside longer and start taking them out every 20mins.  Like you would training a child and give them treats everytime they do their business outside like they should.  Until then I wouldn't allow them anywhere in the house you don't want ruined.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN