Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Tough Common Stains & How to Clean Them Up! What are the stains you deal with most in your house?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 4 Replies

5 Tough Common Stains & How to Clean Them Up!

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 1, 2013 

scrubbing stain off floorLet me guess. Giving the house a deep clean is somewhere near the top of your list of New Year's resolutions. Welcome to the club, now how are you going to handle all the stains you're going to come across?

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy! No really, lemon does wonders around the house. And there's a lot more of that kind of easy to fix stain clean-up where that come from. Just get a load of this list:

1. Red Wine. Get it on the carpet, get it on the couch, get it on your clothes. Wherever it spills, red wine can make quite the mess. That is unless you have some shaving cream around? Spray it on, and watch the stain disappear! You can also pour white wine directly on the red wine to prevent it from setting. Don't have either? Blot carefully, then apply a baking soda and water paste to the spill to lift out the rest of the stain.

2. Rust. Told you lemon was coming, didn't I? If you've got rust or lime scale build-up, apply lemon juice and all to soak, then wash normally. Voila: all gone!

3. Blood. Kid fell off her bike and came into the house dripping blood on the carpet? Grab the peroxide and start pouring -- on the carpet I mean! You know how it bubbles all the dirt out of a cut? It will bubble the blood out of fabric and fibers too!

4. Grease and oil. One of the easiest fixes comes right out of your kitchen cabinets. Pour cornstarch on the spill and allow to sit for several hours. Then trash the cornstarch! No cornstarch? Try these other easy fixes for grease stains.

5. Grass. OK, maybe not this time of year (depending on where you live), but you're bound to deal with green streaks at some point, so listen up. Soak the stained item in water, then hit it with an alcohol-soaked sponge (be careful not to rub hard or the stain will set). Next pour a liquid gel detergent on there and rub.

What are the stains you deal with most in your house? Any good tips for getting rid of them?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Trans
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Hello Steph,

Happy New Year!

I am work at home mom with two naughty kids. I find it very difficult to remove stains from carpet, your tips are very easy hope it works for my home. Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 1:35 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Just plain ole dirt here, LOL
Usually just aq sponge & either soapy water or some 409 works :)

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

just dirt, mud 

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Sofie really doesn't get stained. Tim gets greasy in his shop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)