Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

How to make no sew curtains.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this

I did a blog post about this the other day, so I thought I would share with you ladies as well.

Tutorial for DIY No Sew Curtains

In my last post I showed you my new living room curtains and told you that I would be posting how I made my curtains. I did NOT use a sewing machine for any of my project. I actually did it all with one little product- hemming tape. I have never sewed a pair of curtains in my life. I've made several pairs now and all have been made using hemming tape and all have held up well.

Here is what you need-

Fabric of your choice. Make sure that you measure it a couple of times before cutting it.

A pack of hemming tape. I use Stitch Witchery heavy duty hemming tape.

And an iron.

The first thing that I did was iron a seam across the bottom or top of the fabric. I measured it out and the fabric that I used for the back of the seam was about 1.25 inches.

Then I put hemming tape under the seam. I only do about one foot of hemming tape at a time. You don't need scissors for this part because the tape will tear apart. 

After placing the tape into the seam, I would hold the iron on the hem for about 10-12 seconds. You must make sure that your iron is on the correct setting for your fabric type. Also, depending on your fabric you may need to put a damp cloth between your fabric and the iron if the fabric (for fabrics that are delicate and you cannot use a high heat on, such as wool because steal is a crucial part of this step- without it the hemming tape will not bind).

After you do this to both ends of the fabric, if you have a smooth edge with nothing but the end of the fabric you don't have to do anything to the sides. If you have edges that have color palate info or something like that going a long them you can also do the same thing to the edges.

Here are my curtains.

To get the banding, I just put one seam along the top of the blue fabric and then used hemming tape to fuse the two together along the top seam of the bottom fabric.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Cool!!

How did you do the top part(tabs to hold the rings)?

psych_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The rings have little clips on them and I clipped them to the back of the curtains instead of the top. I think I am going to get more and put about three more on each of the curtains. You can also do a double hem at the top if you want them to have a rod pocket, or if you are like me and don't like fabric above your rod you can do a 4 inch hem and just put your hemming tape at the bottom of that 4 inches and that will give you a big enough pocket to slide a decent size rod in and then you can put a pretty curtain rod through. I just prefer the look of the ring clips.

Quoting inmybizz:

Cool!!

jaytee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Awesome!

What kind of scissors do you use to cut the fabric? I should measure the fabric about 3 inches longer than I want it to be right?

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Awww..Ok! I couldn't see that part of the pic very well..I thought you made loops..

Quoting psych_mom:

The rings have little clips on them and I clipped them to the back of the curtains instead of the top. I think I am going to get more and put about three more on each of the curtains. You can also do a double hem at the top if you want them to have a rod pocket, or if you are like me and don't like fabric above your rod you can do a 4 inch hem and just put your hemming tape at the bottom of that 4 inches and that will give you a big enough pocket to slide a decent size rod in and then you can put a pretty curtain rod through. I just prefer the look of the ring clips.

Quoting inmybizz:

Cool!!

psych_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Yes, definitely measure your fabric longer than you want it to be. I have a good pair, well actually several pairs, of scissors that I bought from the fabric store that I cut my fabric with. You want them to be sharp to make sure that you don't get them caught on your fabric and snag it. You want to try to continously cut through your fabric and not have to stop. Also, measure the length from where you will be hanging your curtians, not where the top of your windows will be, and if you want a little bit of puddling on the bottom, account for that as well.

Quoting jaytee:

Awesome!

What kind of scissors do you use to cut the fabric? I should measure the fabric about 3 inches longer than I want it to be right?

psych_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Nope, I took the easy way out, lol. You could make loops if you wanted too, but that would require either hand sewing or a sewing machine. It would look pretty in a matching ribbon, but I wasn't feeling that ambitious, lol. Here is an up close picture.

I was told that the cheapest place to buy them is Ikea- like $3 a pack.

Quoting inmybizz:

Awww..Ok! I couldn't see that part of the pic very well..I thought you made loops..

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting inmybizz:

Cool!!

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

so..if i wanted to do a blackout curtain(white lined curtain) do you think i could use this same method(tape liner to the curtain)? 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Very good to know,
I also still believe it takes some talent :)

psych_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I have never done it, but I think that you could, just make sure that you use a super duty hemming tape. You could probaby also get a small amount of fabric and do a trial run before doing it on a large scale to make sure that it will hold. I didn't line mine because we have tons of trees and the 2 inch blinds.

Quoting inmybizz:

so..if i wanted to do a blackout curtain(white lined curtain) do you think i could use this same method(tape liner to the curtain)? 

psych_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

LOL. Considering this isn't something that I found on Pinterest, maybe, lol. About 3 or 4 years ago I needed some curtains and I couldn't find the presser foot to my sewing machine so I decided to get creative and give this a try. I told my mom about my idea and she thought I was a little crazy, but she actually had the first pair of curtains I ever made hanging above her sink until about 6 months ago, haha.

Quoting hugss:

Very good to know,
I also still believe it takes some talent :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)