Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

The Manners Game

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 4 Replies

The Manners Game is very simple.  Each family member gets three Popsicle sticks, or other reward, to put on their place mat.  Before the game commences, go around the table and have everyone recite a few "Table Manner Rules."  After that, you are ready to begin.  If one family member sees someone breaking a "Table Manner Rule" he gets to take one of their Popsicle sticks.  Whoever has the most Popsicle sticks at the end of the dinner wins.  My kids love this game.  It is the only time they are "authorized" to correct Mom and Dad.  You can make the game more fun by intentionally making a few "manner mistakes" and then pretending to be shocked and outraged when your children correct you.  They will love it!

Of course, there are a few drawbacks.  For starters, playing games at the table is poor table etiquette.  So, you will want to explain that normally games are not allowed at the table during dinner time.  The Manners Game is a special exception and can only be initiated by a parent.  Also, remind them that ordinarily they are not allowed to correct adults.  They may only due so during the Manners Game.  When we first started playing the Manners Game we did not make a clear enough distinction.  So, at a big family get together, my three year old assumed it was OK to go around spot-checking her aunts and uncles' table manners.

That said, overall this has been a wildly successful game.  The game not only taught my girls table etiquette, but also gave them incentive to self-correct.  Starting this game early, before bad habits are formed, will greatly increase your chances of being successful with the game.  For this reason, I can honestly say that the two people with the worst table manners in our family are now my husband and I.  Our bad habits have persisted for decades, making them much tougher to break and establish new ones.  However, our girls seemed to master table etiquette the first time we played the game!  We continued to play for several months and then slowly phased the game out.  Now that our daughters have formed good habits at the table, I believe that they would have to work hard even if they wanted to revert to their old ways.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM
What a fun way to teach manners
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I think (as a whole) we need to start teaching our children table manners... There's way too many out there that's never heard about them!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM

This is great!
More kids need to learn manners :)

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Interesting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)