Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life
Have you participated in any fundraisers for your child's school this year?
What were they?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (31-39):
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

No, I don't do fundraisers. His teacher gets about fifty dollars worth of school supplies that dwindle down after Christmas break.

We donate a lot of school supplies too.  My son's school can never have enough whiteboard markers, wipes, and hand sanitizer.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting lillucky8:

I think more schools should do the mixedbagdesign fundraiser, id buy more, i find alot of the stuff in most are junk and waaay overpriced

what is that.

mixedbagdesigns.com 

They were a huge hit at my son's school last year. It was their biggest fundraiser. Ever.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Yup.. DS' school did a Joe Corbi's fundraiser.

What is a Joe Corbi Fundraiser?

johnny4ever
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM

None yet

klamomma2
by Kaila on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The kids sold big suckers, each kid had to sell 40, it was around the holidays so we sold to the family that was all together.  I ended up buying the remainder and giving them to friends and family and saving a few for my kids.  
Once a week on Tuesdays if you go to Pizza Hut and say your with the school they give a portion to the school clubs.  

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM

fund run

spring formal gala- I think this is in March

art auction

donation to the school fund

book sale

jazzgirl205
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The public school where we used to live had lots of fundraisers, the kids had to wear uniforms, and there was an $150.00 enrollment fee.  The school had lots of money but it threw it around like drunken sailors.  Yes, I did buy scholastic books and some cookie dough but that was it.  I was not going to raise funds for a school that spent money unwisely.  I did, however, volunteer in the class, do historical programs, and do things for the teachers.

harmony7
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I get the wanting to help and the need for additional funds...I dont get some of the choices and products where the school actually makes very little. When I think about it we do have two that are pretty neat and I do participate in.... I love our penny drive and I like the one where they set a savings account up for the kids at a local bank...the school draws the interest off of all new accounts for the year...that one is way cool...teaches the kids about savings and helps the school 

I spent over $400 in school "additional" supplies the first of the year. I donate my entire commission if the school has a need of playground or sporting equipment that I sell. I donate tons of my time and give foods for bakesales etc. and I did buy citrus at Christmas from the band...but I will NOT ask my elderly neighbors and economically hurting families to buy something they just cannot afford to buy or try to guilt them into something they do not need.

The last time I sent book money to the book fair my son came home with a bag of garbage toys that could have been bought from the dollar store. If it had been actual books that would have been wonderful ..so I am not even doing that anymore. I would rather just write his teacher a check for $10 and let her spend it as she needs than him bring home a bunch of "stuff".  

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

After running the PTA last year it makes me cringe to hear people say they refuse to do any fundraisers. I get not doing then all but none? :-/

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
SweetPea2004
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Carnival

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN