Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Lockdown drill using blanks?!?!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 24 Replies

This is being discussed on FOX 25 this morning and I'm just wondering what other parents think about their childs school using blanks during lockdown drills..  Do your kids do lockdown drills at their school?

I get that you want them prepared but this concerns me as well..

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Life.Happens
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM

This would concern me as well...My children aren't in school yet, and to be honest I'm terrified to send them...

meangreen18
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM

i think my child's school has recently done one. i would have no problem with a trained professional coming in and using blanks. my son knows what a gun shot sounds like, he would know something bad was happening.

CowgirlMama0508
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
This would be why we are homeschooling next year...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Life.Happens
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

This would be why we are homeschooling next year...

I've been considering homeschool as well.

rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Life isn't worth living if you live in fear..  As a mom who's kids get on the bus to go to school it't NOT easy but kids have to live and they enjoy seeing their friends at school.  You see on the news shootings are all over (movies, malls, walmart, school)..  It's scary but I won't live my life in fear I will just do my best to protect my kids..

I just don't think that using blanks is a great way to get the kids to know what a gunshot sounds like.. My kids both already know as my Dad owns guns but he keeps them locked securly in a safe.  I am 34 and don't even know how to get into it LOL!!

Quoting Life.Happens:

This would concern me as well...My children aren't in school yet, and to be honest I'm terrified to send them...

Life.Happens
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I know :) and I don't live in fear.School does scare me, even though I would never let my kids know that.I just think maybe for my children homeschool would be best.I still have some time to make that decision thank goodness, I just want to do what I think would be better for them.

Quoting rocamom:

Life isn't worth living if you live in fear..  As a mom who's kids get on the bus to go to school it't NOT easy but kids have to live and they enjoy seeing their friends at school.  You see on the news shootings are all over (movies, malls, walmart, school)..  It's scary but I won't live my life in fear I will just do my best to protect my kids..

I just don't think that using blanks is a great way to get the kids to know what a gunshot sounds like.. My kids both already know as my Dad owns guns but he keeps them locked securly in a safe.  I am 34 and don't even know how to get into it LOL!!

Quoting Life.Happens:

cafay
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:52 AM

They haven't done one in elementary school yet. They do do them in middle and high school. But I think I would be furious if they used even blanks. I do agree with most of what rocamom says above. I've done a lot of thinking about this since Newtown. It's made me confront things, I've never wanted to. But in the end I want my son to be prepared, but not to live in fear. But blanks would concern me. Accidents do happen, and school isn't the place to learn gun safety of all things!

SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh heeeeck no...why scare the crap out of kids..make them afraid to go to school the next day????!!! Isnt ir scary enough just thinking about all that could happen? It terrifies me every day that G walks out the door. I pray over her every single morning and ask for protection for her...
i wouldnt send her to school knowing they were shooting blanks...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM

using blanks..as in blank bullets? If so, I believe that's taking thing to the extreme. 

My daughter's school hasn't done any lock down drills that I'm aware of. I feel very comfortable with the safety of the school as far as keeping people out that don't belong there. If I'm remembering correctly most of the shootings are by people who are familiar with the school(past students, students, relative of teacher)..I'm not concerned about some random stranger as I am about someone who has permission to be there..

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

They did a lockdown at her school this month as a drill but I don't think they used blanks..  at least not to my knowledge.  You would think they would send home a flier about it though..  they send one home for every other reason.  

I'm not sure if I would like it.  There's been accidents in the past (not at schools, but in general) of people mistakenly NOT putting in a blank, if that makes any sense.  Not to mention how much it would upset and scare my daughter..  that would not be okay with this mom.  She's just a lil' guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)