Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Lockdown drill using blanks?!?!

Posted by   + Show Post

This is being discussed on FOX 25 this morning and I'm just wondering what other parents think about their childs school using blanks during lockdown drills..  Do your kids do lockdown drills at their school?

I get that you want them prepared but this concerns me as well..

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (21-24):
rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Our schools do lockdown drills as well and without blanks but I guess someone is saying we should do it with blanks so that the kids will know what a gun sounds like.. I think this will cause the smaller kids to be confused when is it a drill and when is it real plus we need to remember that K is 5 year old kids and some have JUST turned 5 before entering school.. They are SO YOUNG..  I don't think it's appropriate.

Quoting the3Rs:

Our schools do lockdown drills but not with blanks or anything like that.  I don't think that's necessary or appropriate.

The intent of a 'drill' to make you feel empowered and confident in what you need to do, where you need to go, etc. in the event of that particular kind of emergency.  The intent is NOT to scare the poor kids to death.

Fire drills don't have smoke, you know?

angelgrl5200
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:24 AM
my kids came home asking what lock down means, i asked why did they do a drill? they said yes, so I explained what they do, and then started asking questions like did your teacher lock the door? were allowed out etc etc? Apparently it was a weak drill cause they did nothing but stay in class and do their work, the teachers didn't even lock the doors...and then told the kids to ask their parents what it meant....smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM
That's a little concerning that no one explained it to them.

Quoting angelgrl5200:

my kids came home asking what lock down means, i asked why did they do a drill? they said yes, so I explained what they do, and then started asking questions like did your teacher lock the door? were allowed out etc etc? Apparently it was a weak drill cause they did nothing but stay in class and do their work, the teachers didn't even lock the doors...and then told the kids to ask their parents what it meant....smh

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angelgrl5200
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM
yea that was my thought too

Quoting rocamom:

That's a little concerning that no one explained it to them.

Quoting angelgrl5200:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)