Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Couch to 5k!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I'm a mommy of two DD's who are 2 and 4 months! I gained quite a bit of weight with my first DD, but was also a newly wed, so I was happy...and ate. Never lost my baby weight. Then when I got things in order and started losing...I got pregnant again. :) Life happens. BUT once I had my sweet 2nd DD, I knew I had to get back down to where I was before DD #1. I dropped 35 lbs instantly after DD #2, and then began taking Phentermine once DD hit 3 months and I stopped BFing. She's 4 months today. I've worked out sparingly since stated this new medication, and I've dropped 15 lbs. I have 55 more to go. That being said...

I love running. I've always loved the concept of it. How it made me feel when I committed to doing it, even when I felt huge and like I was breathing like a wild animal. I just felt amazing...so long as no one witnessed me breathing like that, or jiggling all around. :) But it's always been on my "Bucket List" to do a 5k. Oh how I dreamed. ...but I have a fear of running outside...where others can see me. I'm not tiny, and I'll have to start from the beginning of DYING, to work up to jogging. 

There's a 5k coming up in my state. The Color Run, and the Run For Your Lives 5k. DH and I really want to do the Run For Your Lives 5k in May and I recommended the Couch to 5k. I did it one summer, and LOVED IT, but stopped shortly after. But I also had a treadmill, which I don't have now.

I really want to prep and do this 5k, But I'm TERRIFIED of running outside and looking ridiculous.

has anyone ever felt this way? did you overcome it? How so? Help! 

Mommy to Shawn Caleb, Finley Ann & Sara Winslet Grace!

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
campeno
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I have always wanted to do a 5k and 10k. Not much if a runner and in a moment of insanity, I registered for a half marathon! I prefer running outside over running on a treadmill. For some reason I don't get too self-conscious, but M aware of my heavy breathing, lol.
Try running early in the morning or in the evening when its getting darker if image is a concern....
JUST DO IT!! ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SoJosMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
You can do it. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG, I did the Color Run last summer, it was awesome!! I had such a blast. The sweet thing about it was that we didn't feel like we had to run. We could walk it at our own pace, no worries about what anyone looked like running. Especially when you see women in tutus all dressed up!

I think the bigger thing is to worry more about getting up and moving. Don't focus so much about what you look like, but the fact that you're up and moving!!

Mom2jngnc
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM

My 13 yr old runs 5K's.... He saw the "A Run For Their Life" advertised at our State Fair (Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Reserch of CNY) and decided he wanted to do it at just under 12 (he was a month over 12 at teh race. 

Since then he does both of the Run for their life; 2 Turkey Day Trots; Runapoolza; Arc of Onondaga; the It's a WOnderful Run; and a couple of 3K's. 

I would love to run, but my knee won't let me. I may power walk the It's a Wonderful Run next December.

However, my DH and I are looking at a couch potato to 5K program.

The Color Run where I am is the day before The Mountain Goat (which for him is a 3K as I won't register him for the 10 miler), so that is out. Although I think they are doing Paige's Butterfly Run in June. 

loyamom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Wow Good for you!  I just got back from a power walk at the Regional Park here in California.  I've gotten so out of shape and have to get back into jogging again.  It feels great once you lose that weight doesn't it!

Moms Helping Moms Work at Home! www.homeisgreat.com 

bouncing mom

Bawyada
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I don't like being seen running either so I just avoid the busy streets.  I want to let you know though, that i have watched many races and feel nothing but respect for the runners/walkers.  I especially feel it for the ones who are struggling and not in the best shape.  Especially as I stand or sit on the sidelines!! So don't let that part worry you.  Everyone starts somewhere and getting out there and doing it is a wonderful achievement!

Bawyada
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

No one will think you look ridiculous, they'll think "I should be doing that"!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN