Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you parent like your parents did?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 14 Replies

I am curious because I have 4 grown children and 5 grandchildren, I have 2 dd's, they are very close in age and they both have 2 children very close in age, and they really dont parent anything like I did, I am not saying right or wrong, good or bad just an observation I have made, I realize different generation, different spouses, different lifestyle but here is the thing that really is kind of confusing, they dont even parent like each other, and I mean at all, so I was wondering do you parent at all like your parents did or like your siblings or is this just some weird thing in my family?

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1CrazyCajun
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I pretty much parent the same. I don't use the same forms of discipline though.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting not quite your style. Are you more laid back?Come join other like minded moms.

funkycat
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Pretty much the same. My mom was a single parent when I was 11, and I was a single parent when my sons were 4 and 8. There was never a "Wait till your father comes home" threat. My dad was pretty much segragated from parenting, that was not too uncommon in those times I was held accountable for my actions and decisions/choices. That is what I did with my guys.

funkycat
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Pretty much the same. My mom was a single parent when I was 11, and I was a single parent when my sons were 4 and 8. There was never a "Wait till your father comes home" threat. My dad was pretty much segragated from parenting, that was not too uncommon in those times I was held accountable for my actions and decisions/choices. That is what I did with my guys.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Well I am pretty alternative with my parenting style. We made a lot of choices that some would be opposed to and my Mom and siblings are pretty by the book.... Interesting topic,Mom lol

gmadiane
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

thanks hun, I thought it was an interesting topic, lol

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Well I am pretty alternative with my parenting style. We made a lot of choices that some would be opposed to and my Mom and siblings are pretty by the book.... Interesting topic,Mom lol

lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM
In some ways yes. In others no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

No.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Growing up, I paid close attention to how my parents " parented" . I made a mental " list" if what I would keep and what I'd do differently. We've actually adhered to my list and DH's list for our parenting style .
It's just like anything else, you pick what worked and toss what you felt didn't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I really do parent like my parents.  I love them and I set boundaries and consequences.

Crissy2424
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Sometimes, I guess lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)