Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helping a child cope

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Any tips/suggestions on how to help my DS cope with his father's new job? 

It takes him away from us and he only gets to come home every other weekend right now. They're really close. They talk every morning while he's getting ready for school and again before bed every night. On his weekends off they have father/son dates (and then he has father/daughter dates with dd too). He's a very hands on parent which I think it why Ds is taking it so hard. 

We talk about Dh all the time, make crafts/drawing for him, etc. I'm just as a loss at what more I can do to help him. 

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Aww hugs to you all,
I guess just keep letting ds know that dh loves him & wishes he was there .

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
That's so sad. Can they Skype while your dh is away? Maybe your dh can read him an ongoing chapter book during the call.
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

dh doesn't get internet while at work and we don't have it on our phone plan Quoting Linds2Horse:

That's so sad. Can they Skype while your dh is away? Maybe your dh can read him an ongoing chapter book during the call.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

How long is he going to be working like this?  He might consider getting facetalk or a mifi.

SaturnsMom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM

muda1954
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM

webcam would be awesome so they could see each other! It's hard on children when the parent has to go away for work,,I definetly would web came,,,invest in it the kids would really enjoy that!

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others face time or Skype. In the meantime just continue doing what you are doing. Validate his feeling, let him know everything is okay. 

SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM

aww what you're doing is about all you can do without facetime/skype/webcams. poor thing.

MommyOK
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

it's hard. it really is. My kids don't see their dad that much either but they are kind of used to it ...they still ask for him though. Also my kids are pretty young

psych_mom
by Stacy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
There are prepay plans on nation wide networks that include smartphones. You can use Skype for free on those. A lot of those plans are only around $50 a month. Also have him write daddy letters to give to him when he gets home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)