Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

HELP! The English Bulldog drool factory...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

named Bella is a nightmare with my sofas.  I have always kept the animals off the sofas, but my 90LB English Bulldog knows that the minute we leave the house it's fair game.

How do I know she's been on the sofa? Other than the dog hair rug that covers where she laid, she drools. Worse than a teething baby.

EVERY. DARNED. TIME. we leave I have to come home and clean the sofa cushions where her drool face has laid on it. It's only one sofa in my house that she is in love with.

We bought her a beautiful (and expensive) dog bed that is sized to fit the Titanic in hopes that she'd get the hint and sleep on it. Nope. She'll begrudgingly use it when we are at home or in her line of sight. Once we are out of sight? She's having a paty on the sofa. Right now I am keeping the sofa covered with a red furry Christmas blanket that ALMOST matches and we've taken to putting the wooden TV trays on the sofa whenever no one is sitting in it. Honestly, it looks like crap and I really hate it.

SO... I am looking for a solution. I am not keen on shock training so when I started looking I found Scat Mats, but I'm not keen on shock training. She's a big baby! Or I should say I am a big baby where she's concerned!!! SO... I found a sonic alternative called Sofa Scram. Anyone use it? Or any suggestions? 

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

sorry, no help here but maybe someone else can help out. Good luck!

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

My doberman loved to lay on the couch in the front room. I don't blame him it was a great sleeping/viewing spot(lots of sun, view of the front yard and everything that passed). 

We were never able to break his couch habit, so we got a cover for the couch. It was easy to use and washable.

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM
cover the couch or crate the dog when you leave - those are my only suggestions. My dog loves our couch and she's not allowed on it but I know when I'm gone she gets up there. If I've just cleaned it or know company is coming I put her in the room and shut the door when I leave so she can't get to the couch.
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

crating isn't an option because we have days when we are gone for 12-18 hours. She couldn't get out the dog door if she was crated. There's no locking her only in the entry way-it's all open from the entry way where the dog door is all of the way through my living room.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM

When you are gone can you keep her locked up somewhere?
Or the cover might work when you are gone :)

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM
The most effective and humane method is to tuck aluminum foil across the top of our couch cushions. Bella won't like the sound or texture of the aluminum foil so she'll quickly get down.
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hmmmm... I am gonna try this tonight when we go out. I might go broke buying aluminum foil! That's kind of the same idea as the Scram Mat only it lets out an 85 decible noise.

They've eaten  tinfoil before, but I think that was because it had food on it!

Quoting Linds2Horse:

The most effective and humane method is to tuck aluminum foil across the top of our couch cushions. Bella won't like the sound or texture of the aluminum foil so she'll quickly get down.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

That would be grand if I could, but from the back door where the doggie door is all of the way through my kitchen to my front door is all open. Someone did find me a baby gate that expands to 10+ feet, but I think about the time her 90+ pounds leand up on it once it'd be history. They're not made for 100lb babies. Plus it was $100 where the scram mat is $23. I can cover both sofas with one for under $50.

Quoting hugss:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Ahh then sounds like you need to cover them when you're not there & that would work hopefully :)

Quoting MamaSnaps:

That would be grand if I could, but from the back door where the doggie door is all of the way through my kitchen to my front door is all open. Someone did find me a baby gate that expands to 10+ feet, but I think about the time her 90+ pounds leand up on it once it'd be history. They're not made for 100lb babies. Plus it was $100 where the scram mat is $23. I can cover both sofas with one for under $50.

Quoting hugss:

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Someone else mentioned covering the sofa with tinfoil as it makes a sound they don't like. I am going to try it tonight and see what happens!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)