Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

I want to be OCD!!!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 9 Replies

I just found this group and am kind of happy to have found it!

I have 3 kids: DS12, DD8, DD4; 2 dogs (Chihuahua and Yorkie) as well as 2 cats. And I have DH.

DH likes the house to be pretty close to spotless, no clutter, etc. I'm okay with laundry in a basket, a few toys on the floor - but not where they can be walked on, and dishes in the sink overnight.

What I want are tips for making DH more happy. I can't spend all of my time cleaning because I am in school fulltime. I am honestly ignoring my schoolwork right now. I have to finish a powerpoint assignment, do two journals and a quiz by 11:59 pm tonight. The other 3 assignments were completed Saturday.

All of my friends are either neat-freaks or have OCD personality disorder. I honestly wish that I would have gotten the OCD like my sister, aunt, & grandmother have. I'm more of a germ-a-phobe like my brother...

I don't have a shampooer anymore, one of my stepkids decided to jump on it and broke it. I don't have money every month to shampoo the carpets like I used to - and it bugs me very much that I can't do this. It was something that I actually liked doing - making the carpet clean. How can I do this without spending hours on my hands and knees with a scrub brush and towels???

Also, my son fights us on chores. He is lazy about them and gets them done half-assed and then wonders why we are frustrated... (clean the kitchen table, take the dogs out, keep your room clean - which SMELLS HORRIBLE...)

HELP PLEASE!!!

"Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status." -Sir Ken Robinson-

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group!

Sounds to me like you're doing the best you can with what you've got. Can't ask for more than that! You could maybe rent or borrow a carpet cleaner if you need a good shampoo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
muda1954
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Look for a used shampooer maybe on craig's list you might find one real cheap,,,yard sales and such,,,,use a friends! Keeping your home organized is the key factor,,to me dishes overnight is def a no no,,,can DH help you with that?

As far as your son not keeping up on chores he needs to be punished take something away that he really loves and let him know that once he starts keeping up on his chores he will eventually earn it back!

1SpaZZedMom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Why didn't I think of CL??? Thank you! I did try to borrow a friends, but it is a little "bug" that you have to do on your hands and knees. With constant sciatica, that doesn't work well for me at all. :(

My son does get grounded from his xbox and even friends for being lazy. He doesn't have much else that we can take away. We've moved his bedtime back to 8 pm because he's so hard to get up in the mornings. It is slowly starting to help out. He wants to be his own person, but doesn't understand that responsibilities are going to be a part of who he is. He's 12 and in that phase where independence from home is "important" to him...

Every time that he earns back his xbox or is allowed to play with friends again, that is all he does and it's back to grounding all over. One would think that he'd get it by now.... it's just frustrating because my 8 yr old DD gets up, gets dressed, makes her bed, cleans her room if YDD 4 messed it up at her bed time (which she will do); and when she comes home, she does her HW, chores, and goes to play. She's always been great like this!!! They're so different!

Quoting muda1954:

Look for a used shampooer maybe on craig's list you might find one real cheap,,,yard sales and such,,,,use a friends! Keeping your home organized is the key factor,,to me dishes overnight is def a no no,,,can DH help you with that?

As far as your son not keeping up on chores he needs to be punished take something away that he really loves and let him know that once he starts keeping up on his chores he will eventually earn it back!

"Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status." -Sir Ken Robinson-

SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

& I agree with this =)

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Welcome to the group!

Sounds to me like you're doing the best you can with what you've got. Can't ask for more than that! You could maybe rent or borrow a carpet cleaner if you need a good shampoo.

muda1954
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I know 12 year olds are hard age,,,been there done that,,,and today my kids that are 37,35,28 appreciate me being firm with them as they have children of there own and do the same as I thought them to do,,,when I punished I didn't play,,,no friends no tv no games nothing,,,I was very firm and they learned quickly,,,you have to stay on top of it,,,if you have to take it all away then so be it,,,your the parent and he is the child if this is what it takes for him to learn his responsibilities then do so,,,try it,,,kids hate being bored,,,and they may hate you but in the end it all works out,,,,don't be afraid!,,,Hopefully you hhave good luck on CL!

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

Why didn't I think of CL??? Thank you! I did try to borrow a friends, but it is a little "bug" that you have to do on your hands and knees. With constant sciatica, that doesn't work well for me at all. :(

My son does get grounded from his xbox and even friends for being lazy. He doesn't have much else that we can take away. We've moved his bedtime back to 8 pm because he's so hard to get up in the mornings. It is slowly starting to help out. He wants to be his own person, but doesn't understand that responsibilities are going to be a part of who he is. He's 12 and in that phase where independence from home is "important" to him...

Every time that he earns back his xbox or is allowed to play with friends again, that is all he does and it's back to grounding all over. One would think that he'd get it by now.... it's just frustrating because my 8 yr old DD gets up, gets dressed, makes her bed, cleans her room if YDD 4 messed it up at her bed time (which she will do); and when she comes home, she does her HW, chores, and goes to play. She's always been great like this!!! They're so different!

Quoting muda1954:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Welcome to the group,
Already sounds like you do so much.
How old is your son that won't do his chores?  Is he on any kind of rewards for doing them?
Trhilled you're here ;)

1SpaZZedMom
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,
How old is your son that won't do his chores?  Is he on any kind of rewards for doing them?
Trhilled you're here ;)

He is 12. Once he's done with them, he can watch tv, listen to his radio and CDs, play xbox, ride his bike, play with friends, talk to his gf, or get on the computer....

He does get these things taken away for not doing his chores, or doing them half-way. After a couple of days of doing chores correctly, he earns them back.

1SpaZZedMom
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I can only hope that my children appreciate it as well once they are grown! =)

Quoting muda1954:

I know 12 year olds are hard age,,,been there done that,,,and today my kids that are 37,35,28 appreciate me being firm with them as they have children of there own and do the same as I thought them to do,,,when I punished I didn't play,,,no friends no tv no games nothing,,,I was very firm and they learned quickly,,,you have to stay on top of it,,,if you have to take it all away then so be it,,,your the parent and he is the child if this is what it takes for him to learn his responsibilities then do so,,,try it,,,kids hate being bored,,,and they may hate you but in the end it all works out,,,,don't be afraid!,,,Hopefully you hhave good luck on CL!

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

Quoting muda1954:

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I sure hope he gets better at doing them,
Good luck & let us know :)

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

Quoting hugss:

Welcome to the group,
Trhilled you're here ;)

He is 12. Once he's done with them, he can watch tv, listen to his radio and CDs, play xbox, ride his bike, play with friends, talk to his gf, or get on the computer....

He does get these things taken away for not doing his chores, or doing them half-way. After a couple of days of doing chores correctly, he earns them back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)