Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

FCC set to drop ban on f-word and nudity

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 20 Replies

FCC set to drop ban on f-word and nudity

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced it is considering dropping current broadcast decency standards that ban explicit profanity and "non-sexual" nudity.

You can read the press release from the FCC here.

Specifically, if enacted, the new FCC policy would allow network television and local radio stations to air the f-word, the s-word and to allow programs to show frontal female nudity, even during hours when they know children will be watching and listening.

It is accepting comments on the proposal from the viewing public until the end of April.

Current broadcast decency law prohibits expletives and nudity, even if brief or "fleeting." The Supreme Court has upheld the law as constitutionally enforceable by the FCC, despite lawsuit attempts by networks NBC and FOX to overturn it.

How do you feel about this bit of news?

SOURCE

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's awful. We're already careful about what we watch but I think this will make us even more careful!

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't watch TV but if we did I'd find it odd. My daughter has heard those words and knows they're 'grown up' words that she can learn about and choose to use later in life if she chooses. (Along with 'stupid' 'ugly' etc) But I would find it strange that they'd be ok with that considering how many people would be appalled by that language. I wouldn't allow her to watch a show that used language and nudity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Life.Happens
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SassyWildflower:

I think it's awful. We're already careful about what we watch but I think this will make us even more careful!

I agree with this.
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

It just makes me even happier to know that we don't watch regular tv. We're already super cautious about the shows the kids watch. I won't allow them to watch half the shows that are on the tv nowadays! 

muda1954
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

It's terrible,,,,,I  think that it should be banned in the forums here on CM mom as well there is no need for profanity unless you are in a group that uses such profanity,,,I was shocked when I saw the F...word being used in a post here but that's me. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Not good at all :(

SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

same here. 

Makes me think ever harder about getting rid of my dish!

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

It just makes me even happier to know that we don't watch regular tv. We're already super cautious about the shows the kids watch. I won't allow them to watch half the shows that are on the tv nowadays! 

psych_mom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I so agree.

Quoting muda1954:

It's terrible,,,,,I  think that it should be banned in the forums here on CM mom as well there is no need for profanity unless you are in a group that uses such profanity,,,I was shocked when I saw the F...word being used in a post here but that's me. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I am so glad we don't have cable or anything like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupcake2819
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for posting this.  I actually followed through and formally submitted a comment to the FCC.  I don't want our airwaves being even more polluted than they already are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)