Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you think handmade items

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 36 Replies

such as clothes for your kids, are worth what they cost?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

it depends..if they are made well and the material used--if it's a really good quality. 

Some people do, however, overcharge. 

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM
The ones my grandmother made and my mom makes are priceless... And cost free. But handmade not by family? No, handmade should be sentimental.... If you have to " buy" a home made christening dress... Or a smocked frock just because ... I don't think it's worth it .... If a family member went to the trouble.... Absolutely as the only " cost" is genuine gratitude .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

They definitely can and you have to be careful now days. Some people are buying some items for China and selling those things as handmade.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

it depends..if they are made well and the material used--if it's a really good quality. 

Some people do, however, overcharge. 

SarahSuzyQ
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I don't think we have any handmade items like clothing, etc...

psych_mom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

There are a lot of people that spend a lot of time to make items to sale- I see a lot of people that will spend $75 on a dress in a store, but not that much on a handmade item. What is the difference?

Quoting hollydaze1974:

The ones my grandmother made and my mom makes are priceless... And cost free. But handmade not by family? No, handmade should be sentimental.... If you have to " buy" a home made christening dress... Or a smocked frock just because ... I don't think it's worth it .... If a family member went to the trouble.... Absolutely as the only " cost" is genuine gratitude .

mom4awesomekids
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I have found some nice things for my kids...just have to know where to look.

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I don't know what the difference is as the cost my children's clothes won't surpass mine, and I would be hard pressed to spend 75 on myself.

I just think homade should mean something sentimental to the sewer and receiver.

Quoting psych_mom:

There are a lot of people that spend a lot of time to make items to sale- I see a lot of people that will spend $75 on a dress in a store, but not that much on a handmade item. What is the difference?

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

So you won't support small business like this because it doesn't have sentimental value? Even if you can pick the fabric the item is made from and have a say so at the fraction of the cost of couture items?

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I don't know what the difference is as the cost my children's clothes won't surpass mine, and I would be hard pressed to spend 75 on myself.

I just think homade should mean something sentimental to the sewer and receiver.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting hollydaze1974:

SweetPea2004
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yes some do beautiful work and dd looks unique.

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely, for well made one of the kind clothes, it is worth every penny and hour spent. I have a sewing machine and made her outfits myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN