Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

What kinds of cleaning chores do you give your kids?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

5 Tips to Get the Kids to Help You Clean the House

by Mary Fischer

child cleaningLet's face it -- kids love to make messes whenever they can, but convincing them to clean up afterwards can be kind of a challenge. Cleaning and de-cluttering just seems so, well, boring to children (gee, I wonder why?), but if you get a little bit creative, you can teach them that cleaning can actually be pretty fun.

And in addition to that, developing routines and giving kids household chores has been shown to teach them a strong sense of responsibility and self-worth.

I do the best I can at keeping chores fun for my son, and a tip I use to get him involved with cleaning is to hand him the duster, which he absolutely loves. He'll run that thing all over every piece of furniture in our house simply because he loves to see the dust attach to it. I get nice, clean surfaces, and he feels a sense of satisfaction, so it's always a win-win.

Dr. Laura Jana, a pediatrician and mom of three, definitely knows a thing or two about getting kids excited about helping with household chores. She partnered with Lysol to promote a line of kid-friendly cleaning products, and here are some tips they offered on how to get your children interested in keeping your house neat and tidy.

Make cleaning a game everyone can enjoy -- Set a timer in the house for each chore and then celebrate when it gets done in that time frame. Or turn cleaning into a hide and seek game, and have your kids hunt down the dirtiest spots in the house. You can even play things really simple, and set up an assembly line in your house to get chores down.

Use a rewards system -- Make a chore chart for your kids, and each time one is completed, reward them with a sticker. Once they get a certain amount of stickers, have a prize they can achieve at the end, such as a fun activity, allowance, or even a new toy.

Germ warfare -- If kids understand how important it is to kill harmful germs so they don't get sick, they'll be more likely to want to get every last germ out of your house.

Give them "promotions" as they get older -- It's always important to choose family friendly cleaning products, and to teach your kids about safely handling them. Start younger kids out with simple tasks like putting away their toys, and then as they get older, "promote" them and let them do things like scrubbing and vacuuming.

What kinds of cleaning chores do you give your kids?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Some.Beach
by on May. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

One does the dishes, the other does the laundry. They swap nights on who feeds the animals. Other chores vary with need, but they help with pretty much everything, from scrubbing toilets to washing windows to sweeping, mopping, and more.

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

They were responsible for their rooms,
Taking trash out & helping set/clear the table :)

SassyWildflower
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM

they have to pick up their toys, put clothes in the dirty hamper and pick up after themselves. G has to scrape her plate when she's done and put her dishes in the sink to be washed. 

rocamom
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Clean their rooms, vaccum, swept, bring down dirty laundry, empty trash from bathroom, take recycling out (with help from Dad), put their laundry away, help with dishes..  Uumm I think this is most of what they help do.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM

clean her room

feed animals

help with dishes

clear her plate and wipe down her area

sort laundry/ put her clean clothes away 

klamomma2
by Kaila on May. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

My 5 and 7 yr old clean their rooms and playroom, put away their clothes, help with dishes, put their dishes in the dishwasher.  Those are daily things they do, extras they do some days include vacuuming, sweeping and mopping floors, dusting.  

harmony7
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Mine are teens and a pre teen- they vacumn, dust, mop, clean their bathroom, sweep porch, feed and water animals, walk the dogs, put away their laundry, empty dishwasher, wash cars, mow grass, help me replace the fence line for the pastures, wash dogs, etc...they need to learn to take care of a home inside and out

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN