Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clean Cheats in the Family Car

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

The family car has a tendency to quickly become our home away from home. Before we know it, clutter, trash, and strange odors are following us all over town. If you don't have time to do some serious detailing (and what mom does), then just follow these easy cheats for a clean car in no time.

The family car has a tendency to quickly become our home away from home. Before we know it, clutter, trash, and strange odors are following us all over town. If you don't have time to do some serious detailing (and what mom does), then just follow these easy cheats for a clean car in no time.

Clean Cheat #1: The catch-all basket. Every family car needs to have one. This is a basket that sits within reach of the driver to hold all those needed items that you never thought you would need. In my basket, I keep scissors, lotion, a sewing kit, some hair bands, a brush, a bottle of Febreze, baby wipes, and a Beverly Hillsbillies DVD set. I still have no idea how the Beverly Hillbillies got in there, but I'm sure it will come in handy one day.

Clean Cheat #2: The fill-up purge. This is a trick that I use whenever I fill up the car with gas. While the dollars are pumping in to your tank, instead of sitting there wringing your hands, use that time to collect all the trash in the car and toss it in the wastebasket at the pump. You can even get your kids to help out with this.

Clean Cheat #3: The laundry basket. I keep a laundry basket in the back of our van to hold stuff that I'm carrying around. This could be groceries, soccer balls, guitar amps, or any of the thousands of items I drag all over the place. This is a great way to keep everything contained. It also prevents an avalance of clutter from rolling to the front of the car every time you have to put on the brakes.

Clean Cheat #4: The two-minute tidy. This is a great thing to do when you park the car. Grab a baby wipe and wipe down the surface areas of the dashboard, the front of the car, and the side doors. Now grab the bottle of Febreze and spray down all the seats and the floor of the car. Next time you get in, you'll feel like your car has just been professionally detailed!

Clean Cheat #5: Loose change. This isn't only handy when you're going through tolls, but if you are at a gas station where there is a vacuum, you can spend a few minutes and use the vacuum to clean out the car. It also helps to keep one vacuum in the garage and one in the house so you can vacuum out the car anytime the need arises.

by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 1:35 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Great ideas :)

SassyWildflower
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

great tips. definitely could use some of this.

Rushn311
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Those are great tips, thanks!

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Great ideas : )

TerriC
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Very good ideas!  I clean my dash and inside with wipes when I am waiting on my girls to get out of school.  I do have scissors in my vehicle as well, learned that is quite handy years ago!  LOL.  Kleenex, lotion, chapstick etc.  and a First aid kit.

timon95
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

tfs

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM

When I used to have wipes in my car I'd use them to wipe down the dash, etc. I use a plastic grocery bag centrally located for people to throw trash in.

countrygirlkat
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I love the idea of cleaning it up when I am filling up with gas!

psych_mom
by Stacy on May. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

We already use some of these ideas. We also clean the car out on very regular basis so that it doesn't get out of hand or become very overwhelming.

Sisteract
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Are you suppose to be touching the exterior or getting in and out the car while it's filling up? I thought this was a no-no ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)