Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Vacuum Your...Kitchen?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

Do you consider housework a necessary evil? I do. Especially the chores that are downright disgusting. In addition to all the usual suspects--taking the garbage out, scooping the litter box, cleaning the toilet--there's one task that always seriously grossed me out...until I thought of a better way to do it, and using a tool you might not think of in the kitchen.

One chore I hate to do--and a chore that usually needs to be done multiple times a day--is cleaning crumbs off the kitchen table. Growing up, I learned that the proper way to clean a table or kitchen counter is to use a damp washcloth to sweep all the food detritus to the edge and then into my open palm, which I would then dump out in the sink or over the garbage. I did it that way for years because I thought it was the only way, and every single time I kind of gagged at all those little mystery bits of food jumbled together in my bare hand all moist and...*gak*. I was basically using my palm as a dustpan, which is pretty nasty. Just thinking about it squicks me right out.

Then one day I had an epiphany. If I wipe the table crumbs off onto the floor, I can then just vacuum everything up in one fell swoop. (I could also sweep it up with a broom, but since we store our vacuum in the kitchen anyway, it's just as easy to grab the tool I know will do a better job.) Yes, it takes a little longer to vacuum the kitchen floor than it does to just wipe off the table, but since I need to clean the floors anyway (messy preschooler + crawling baby + cats who can't eat their cat food without spilling half of it out of the bowl), it actually makes more sense to do it this way. A few extra minutes is worth a cleaner house and NOT having to wipe table crumbs into my hand. 

I always thought kitchen floors were under the jurisdiction of brooms and mops, but now I know better. Do you vacuum in your kitchen?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I vacuum first and then mop if needed.

SassyWildflower
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I do vacuum my kitchen daily. Then I mop 1-2 times a week.

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I vacuum the kitchen.

ceciliam
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I have always vacuumed my kitchen. With 2 cats, a dog and a seven year old boy, I have to vacuum everyday!

KaylaMillar
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

i do sometimes. I mostly sweep it though.

nerdymom28
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I have a vacuum that goes from carpet to hard floors, so I vacuum my kitchen and then mop afterwards.

MichelleK41
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yeah I vacuum the floors for a quick crumb pick up but the broom is much better. =)

honeydewmommy
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I sweep, then I have a shark that I vacumm that up and around if I missed, then I mop. Very effective. 

sukainah
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I vacuum the kitchen and especially the dining room.  I have a Swiffer vac to do it mostly.

LancesMom
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I  do it often (vacuumed and sweep the kitchen!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN