Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Social situations...what to do?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
I was getting my boat ready for a solo sail yesterday when a dock neighbor invited me to a party on their boat. Since it looked like heavy fog was rolling in, I accepted, prepared a dish to bring, and went over with a bottle of wine. In an hour, the fog has cleared. The party is still going strong. People I was pleased to meet in passing are streaming in and I would like to makefriends. But my boat is ready to sail. Is it rude to leave party and go sail? (there would be no hiding it as I would sail right by their houseboat) Would inviting people to come along be rude? (taking guests away from a party) Should I have not gone to the party? Should I have stayed and not gone sailing? I am incredibly weirded out by the complexity that goes along with meeting people and making friends. I wound up taking 4 people with me from the party for an hour's sail. Then I and two of the others returned to the party. Opinions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rocamom
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I probably would have either just gone to the party and skipped sailing or skipped the party. I think going to the party and leaving with some of the guests woukd have been rude. Hhhmmmm
coronado25
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Yeah...I thought about that as I went walking down the dock back to my boat. Maybe that is why 2 of the 4 guests I took out with me sailing did not return to the party? Perhaps, they too, felt as if maybe it could be seen as rude?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I agree with Rocamom.

coronado25
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Should I make attempt to rectify the social flub? And if so, how? Would it do any good? I have only just met all the people and I feel now that I may have lost potential friends with my actions, nevermind bringing a dish and wine, I was distracted the second the fog lifted and walked out (with both thanks and apology, so a clear admittance on my part that my actions could be concieved as rude). Ack. I am going to continue to be the hermit I have been. I feel sick to my stomach when I mess up!

Quoting rocamom:

I probably would have either just gone to the party and skipped sailing or skipped the party. I think going to the party and leaving with some of the guests woukd have been rude. Hhhmmmm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocamom
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I don't know. I would probably let it go. Wait and see how they act next time you see them..

Quoting coronado25:

Should I make attempt to rectify the social flub? And if so, how? Would it do any good? I have only just met all the people and I feel now that I may have lost potential friends with my actions, nevermind bringing a dish and wine, I was distracted the second the fog lifted and walked out (with both thanks and apology, so a clear admittance on my part that my actions could be concieved as rude). Ack. I am going to continue to be the hermit I have been. I feel sick to my stomach when I mess up!

Quoting rocamom:

hugss
by on May. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I agree with the others,
However if you bump into one of these people be friendly & hopefully get a conversation going with them if at all possible ;)

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Quoting coronado25:

Yeah...I thought about that as I went walking down the dock back to my boat. Maybe that is why 2 of the 4 guests I took out with me sailing did not return to the party? Perhaps, they too, felt as if maybe it could be seen as rude?

Maybe they were bored at the party and grateful for the excuse you gave them to escape.
Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I dunno...if I have a party I don't expect people to sit there from beginning to end, I expect people to come and go. ::shrugs::
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I agree. I think it's okay to accept the invite, hang out for a bit then leave and do your own thing. 

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

I dunno...if I have a party I don't expect people to sit there from beginning to end, I expect people to come and go. ::shrugs::

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)