Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

A Day of Research

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

We got an estimate on our old truck to have a blowen head gasket repaired.....Can I just say....OH MY GOODNESS.....$1200.....now, we got this truck when his Mom died, it is old, 1993, but it runs good and we just use it to pull the pontoon boat or get something from Lowes.  His parents bought it new...it has 130,000 miles...its ok for us. So yesterday, I spent the afternoon researching online for help. Alan is mechanically savvy ( its what he does for a living, he is a maintenance tech). So in all of this searching, I called the expert tech ..haha...and he walked me through the whole thing this morning...a relative easy fix, actually, so he helped me with the order, total cost ( with Alan doing the work) $157.86...it has a four year guarantee, so maybe this will fix the trouble....Labor from our regular mechanic was almost a  $1000.....crossing fingers...will take an hour and 15 minutes.....the hardest part of the total job is drainng the radiator....the longest part of the job is letting the vehicle idle for 15 minute increments.....

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
offrdngal
by Terri on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Taking the time to research really does pay off!!  :)

psych_mom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Woohoo! Great savings. My mom needed something fixed on her truck last week- mechanic wanted almost $2000 to put a $47 part on the truck. A friend fixed it for next to nothing. Glad you guys are able to do it yourself. I love research :)

suziejax
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Way to go girl! :-)

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope it all works out, money saved....yeah, am thinking I NEED a new quilt....haha...

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM
That's wonderful your husband can do the repairs! (I sure wish mine could$
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BannerElkHogans
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I dropped my wedding band down the kitchen sink drain an called several plumbers in town would cost over 120 $ just to come out turn the water off an remove ring from the catch pipe.........i did it in 10 with the help of Technology.........thank you YouTube!!!!!!! ha ha ha......price FREE  ha ha ha

muda1954
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I love to research and so does hubby,,,,I am happy for you and you saved yourself a lot of money! WTG

muda1954
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Just to share we bought a pop up camper that looked in mint condition,,,we got it home and hubby looked it over thoroughly and discovered there was some sagging going on in the roof so he started to take it apart and noticed the wood was all rotten there were no signs of leakage just the top of the roof wasn't level,,,so we did a lot of research on line to see what we could do to fix it,,well it wasn't easy but he took the rotting wood pieces of and bought new wood used the old ones as templates and cut them out,,,put them back on it was like building a whole new roof again we w read some blogs of others that had the same problem and what they did which was extreme help and watched some videos on youtube to see exactly what we needed to do,,,this was our winter project,,,lol but it's all fixed and only cost about 300.00 to fix it so all in all it was a total off 800.00 to have a pop up which is really cheap as we bout it for only 500.00,,,but now we love it and it's in mint condition!

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Awesome deal!!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)