Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Redecorating Basement

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm redecorating my basement on a tight budget.  It's an unfinished basement with a concrete floor.  Sectioned off into 3 sections (storage room, laundry room, and then open space that I will use as the family room/children's play area).

It has a damp feeling in the air though.  Doesn't smell and no leaking but just that uncomfortable damp basement feel and I hate that.  Thinking I need to buy a Dehumidifier.  I think that will help tons.  Any other suggestions you all have for making the air in the basement feel less moist?

Also, here are my ideas to tranform this into a warm and inviting area:

Large area rugs

Hanging Lamps

Wall decal

What do you think?  What else would you add/take away?

ETA:

Here is a pic of a section of the basement so you get a general idea of what I'm working with.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chillisarah
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Also, I'm not sure about if I like that wall decal though.

Chillisarah
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

And then for the kids play area I was thinking about getting a large ABC area rug and putting up these Hot Air Balloon lanterns

psych_mom
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The area rug and the wall decal will not look good together in the same room. The dehumidifier should take care of the dampness that you feel in the air. Paint it in a welcoming colors and that should really help. Are you going to put flooring down and sheetrock the walls?

Chillisarah
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

The area rug and the wall decal will not look good together in the same room. The dehumidifier should take care of the dampness that you feel in the air. Paint it in a welcoming colors and that should really help. Are you going to put flooring down and sheetrock the walls?

That's what I was thinking too about the rug and the wall decal that's why I needed second opinions on this. The more I look at the wall decal the more I'm not feeling it at all. No flooring, no sheet rock.  Just doing something really inexpensive for now.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

They have a product called Kilz , it will lock the moisture out of the walls, you will need to paint all the walls with this and let it dry completely and then paint it again with the color of choice...the Kilz will be a white color and the walls will bleed through this, but it will be sealed from any moisture. After our new basement was cured, we did this....no smelll or moisture at all, it has been 5years....we didnt have any. Smell or moisture to begin with, but the prevention was worth the time it took to do it. You can find this at any hardware or big box store.

SassyWildflower
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I agree about the rug and wall decals. Everything else I think will be cute.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Just wanted to add to quiltlovers post that Kilz is a necessity and not optional if you paint the walls. The reason is that you can't paint directly onto drywall without stucco, plaster, or a special primer for drywall (which Kilz is). Without a primer the paint will eat your drywall, which is chalk based, and you'll have no wall.

Quoting QuiltLover:

They have a product called Kilz , it will lock the moisture out of the walls, you will need to paint all the walls with this and let it dry completely and then paint it again with the color of choice...the Kilz will be a white color and the walls will bleed through this, but it will be sealed from any moisture. After our new basement was cured, we did this....no smelll or moisture at all, it has been 5years....we didnt have any. Smell or moisture to begin with, but the prevention was worth the time it took to do it. You can find this at any hardware or big box store.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

What color do you all think I should paint the walls?

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I would concrete stain and seal your floors. It will add a nice cozy feel and the floor won't feel so industrial.

The rug you've chosen doesn't go we'll with your wall decals (different styles) or your balloon lanterns (wrong colors). Either choose a neutral solid color or a pattern with bright colors.

The prime with your current design is that your decorating ideas for the adult area isn't cohesive with your decorating idea for the kids area. Your current design will divide the space into half giving it an even greater cave-like feeling.

Since you want to do primary colors for the kids area, incorporate that subtly into the adult area. Here is how:

Paint the walls a neutral color like Benjamin Moore HC35 ( a warm butter color). It will go well with your couch and the butteriness will add the illusion of natural light. Spray paint that thing next to the couch a navy blue color. To the right of the couch hang a dark blue, light blue, and yellow spherical lantern. Add light kits to them. Along the same wall in the kids section you can add the balloons or hang the same colors in spherical paper lanterns. Again add light kits.

But an 8x10 jute rug from Home Goods for the adult area. Go for the colorful rug for the kids area.

Add blue and red pillows to the couch. Hang red window panels (floor length $10 ea Target) on the window.

Entire makeover less than $200
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I agree with the others,
After said & done I think it will look great ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)